Sugared Cereal

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 09:37 pm
@chai2,
I suspect the sugar's found in the malted barley flour
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
http://food52.com/hotline/3296-what-is-the-difference-between-barley-flour-and-malted-barley-flour-i-m-making-bread-and-wanting-to

Quote:
Malting is the process by which the grains are germinated by soaking in water. The grains are then dried and used accordingly. This converts the starches into sugars. For example, you have to malt grains to make beer, or wort for whisky. Can't have a fermentation without sugar. So malted barley flour will have less starch and a sweeter flavour. . . .a malt flavour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/What-Deal-Barley-Malt-1834291

Quote:
Many health food companies try to avoid adding refined sugar to their products, so they use natural sugar substitutes instead. Stevia, brown rice syrup, evaporated cane juice, and agave nectar are a few examples, but I have also seen barley malt in lists of ingredients. It's often used in cereals, granola bars, mixes, sauces, and baked goods.

Barley malt is made from sprouted barley. It's thick, dark, and has a mellow malt flavor. It's a favorite of health food companies because it's considered a slow-digesting sweetener.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:34 pm
I was mistaken, no doubt about it.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:30 am
The breakfast of champions : cigarettes and coffee.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:01 pm
Millet
Puffed rice
Oatmeal...if you get the rolled oats oatmeal in the large box, you don't even need to cook it. Just let it settle in your favorite milk for a half hour and enjoy...can add berries or chopped apple or banana or other fruit if you want.
Rye flakes

all of the above can be found without any sugar or additives.

Happy eating!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:20 pm
@Sturgis,
I'm the odd one out as I've hardly bought any boxed cereal (as such) in years and years.
I think the last one I had faint interest in was Puffins, and I presume that was sugared.

I'll agree with Chai re Quinoa, but I like Bob's Red Mill Farro slightly better, re my taste, but they both are amenable to a lot of varied recipes. I even put farro in my burritos; haven't tried quinoa in them yet, but will. For whatever reason related to my taste buds, etc., I've never been interested in oatmeal for breakfast, and, way back when, I tried several types of it, all of it gah to me. I do like to use it in baking bread or in cookies or pancakes, just not as slime in a bowl or less cooked s.i.b., not meaning to offend those who are fine with it.
We all have our peculiarities.

I'd rather have good bread toasted and eggs, or good bread toasted, with hummus. I don't put sugar in my breads except for the wee smidge to get the yeast working full time.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 03:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ezekiel 4:9 wrote:
“Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side. Weigh out twenty shekels of food to eat each day and eat it at set times. Also measure out a sixth of a hin of water and drink it at set times. Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel.”

I never understood how they can market a product based on a Biblical recipe based involving cruel punishment and prepared with human excrement.

I would rather just go with the sugared cereal.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Some parts of the world are dependent on dried excrement for cooking. They live how they can.

I also recently read a headline and, I think saved a link but not looking for it now, about americans - um, this isn't a quote, I read the bit fast - being on the stupid side re the use of manure.

I also remember some long ago thread about it, who knows what the title was. A person in California, maybe northern California, developing usage for manure. It might have been one of my threads as I remember being interested. Somewhat hard to look up, I've started a plethora of threads.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
I am skeptical Osso, but I honestly don't know very much on the topic. A little googling didn't help.

Human feces is one of the primary ways of spreading disease and parasites. It is logical that many cultures would have a taboo against any contact with waste... it seems like something that has an evolutionary advantage.

My assumption is that most cultures are squeamish about mixing feces and food preparation. I don't know this for sure. If you read the Biblical passage in question, it is clear that the writer of this text considered the practice to be disgusting. I have heard that some earlier cultures used human waste for fertilizer.

I am very curious if there is any anthropological works on a feces taboo. If you find any, I would be very interested.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:46 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not interested in chasing it, except I've read about various areas with people who live this way.

I'm am interested, but not personally able to help.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 07:45 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There is zero sugar in Grape-Nuts.
Also zero in Ezekial 4:9

I think what our beloved Edgar is stating is somewhat accurate in terms of nutritional sense.

Added Sugar vs. Natural Sugar
There is a difference between corn syrup and other sugars added to a processed food and the sugar naturally existing in ALL GRAINS.

I'm sure that Edgar's statement of zero sugar is slightly more accurate in the necessarily correct sense.
chai2

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love Grape Nuts.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe-

You are wrong! I listed the ingredients of Grape Nuts above. It contains 7 grams of sugar per half cup.

I admit it doesn't taste sweet.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:33 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

edgarblythe-

You are wrong! I listed the ingredients of Grape Nuts above. It contains 7 grams of sugar per half cup.

I admit it doesn't taste sweet.

And you literally glossed over my post. Grains have naturally occuring SUGAR. There are likely NO cereals with ZERO sugar.

There are cereals with zero ADDED sugar. That's not semantics. There's a huge difference.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah. Watch out for stuff labeled either "no sugar added" and "naturally sweetened".
0 Replies