Black Holes, Wormholes, and the 10th Dimension, Parallel Uni

td8181

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:37 pm
Black Holes, Wormholes, and the 10th Dimension , Parallel Universe?

Let talk about this, I do know Black Holes exist though, dunno about Wormholes

But is there a connection? Can people actually go back in time and connect to the past?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 682 • Replies: 8
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 10:03 pm
wormholes are completely fictitious

no, you cannot go "back in time"

but technically you can look into the past, because since light does not travel instantaneously anything you look at is actually delayed, and some things are so far away that you are looking at what happened millions of years ago

you cannot go back in time, time is relative to each object, but you can change the speed that you travel through time with respect to other masses
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 11:55 pm
Wormholes arise as solutions to the equations of General Relativity. In 1916, physicist Ludwig Flamm first realized that they are present in Schwarzschild's solution, and physicist John Archibald Wheeler later coined the term wormhole to describe the phenomenon.
0 Replies

td8181

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 12:30 am
stupid question, but how the heck you look into the past?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 01:03 am
td8181 wrote:

Every time you look at the stars, you're looking into the past, because the light takes years to reach us.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:00 am
Yes, maybe, probably, possibly, Yes, remotely!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:27 am
Quote:

didn't I just explain this? you don't have to look at the stars. anytime you look at ANYTHING you are looking into the past because the light took some time to bounce off the objects you are looking at....the farther away the object is the more you are looking into the past.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
Quote:
Wormholes arise as solutions to the equations of General Relativity. In 1916, physicist Ludwig Flamm first realized that they are present in Schwarzschild's solution, and physicist John Archibald Wheeler later coined the term wormhole to describe the phenomenon.

I shouldn't have said they are entirely fictitious, but your implications here are way too strong. The only evidence we have is the solution to some silly equation, which shouldn't be very convincing by itself. Many times in applied math we are told to ignore the mathematical solutions which do not make sense. Even if they did exist, nothing would be able to go through them without being squashed into point masses.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

I shouldn't have said they are entirely fictitious, but your implications here are way too strong. The only evidence we have is the solution to some silly equation, which shouldn't be very convincing by itself. Many times in applied math we are told to ignore the mathematical solutions which do not make sense. Even if they did exist, nothing would be able to go through them without being squashed into point masses.

I wasn't aware that I was implying anything. I only said that wornholes arise out of the equations of General Relativity and have been a part of modern physics for many years.
0 Replies