Silent Auction

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:47 am
I heard this on the radio. It struck me so funny, that I wanted to share.

It seems that there was an organization that was having a "silent auction". For those who are not familiar with the term, it goes like this: The items at auction are on a table, and there is a paper next to the item.

The minimum bid is at the top. People write in their bids up until a certain time, the next bid on the list being higher than the one before it, so that the person who writes in the last bid, which would be the highest, gets the item.

Anyhow, this auction was for some charity, and the local merchants had donated things for the auction. The local funeral home and cremetory had pitched in, and they too had donated something. Do you know what they donated?

A basket of items that you could use for a barbeque! Laughing Very Happy Shocked
:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 884 • Replies: 5
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:23 am
That is disturbingly funny, Phoenix; do you think that they realised the connection? I don't know which should be worse: making humour out of it or being so feckless as not to notice!

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:23 am
Incidentally, I've never heard of a silent auction; are they not too heard of over in America, too?

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
dròm_et_rêve- I had never heard of them either, until a few years ago. An organization that I belong to has one at their annual shindig. One of the popular items that people donate are "theme" baskets. For instance, I remember one which had a "beach" theme..................It had a beach towel, a tube of sunblock, earplugs, a summer novel, and some other stuff.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:55 am
Very interesting and good way to raise money for charity....but where did the funeral home get the BBQ supplies and what individual items did they donate? Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:59 am
colorbook- I really don't want to know! Laughing
0 Replies