InfraBlue

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:47 am
@farmerman,
Randy Rhoads was an early 80's Heavy Metal guitar virtuoso.

He died way too early.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:56 pm
Every decade has crap tunes. I think the 80's had a fair share of very good ones. Here are just a few

Robert Palmer was one of the coolest white guys ever to live.

The guitar player to the right with the rainbow guitar strap was one of the hottest women ever to appear on MTV

Level 42 - Probably my favorite band of the 80's

Let's not forget that Phil Collins was huge in the 80's and who didn't like this by the Eurythmics

And the decade concluded with

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 06:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The 80's had a particular fecal count that could fill a library of mmiocre songs. BUT, since we opend the door on several other works and artists that were admittedly damn good in that secade, I forgot on of my favorite pieces by Phil Collins. I think this may have been in the 90's though.

but the Eurythmics?? I would safely ensconse them among the fecal pellets of the ecade. I agree with you about Robt Palmer. I was saddned when he died of a massive in a hotel room (Wasnt it in Secaucus?) sort of a vaudevillian end
izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im afraid that you toss "brilliant" around like e toss AWESOME!

Has no meaning any longer.
I recall James May who used the term judiciously to escribe changes mqde to keep the Rover from being a complete POS

Never watched Top Gear. I do appreciate irony, though and anyone who rails against the mediocrity of 80s music, while simultaneously singling out Paul Simon and Phil Collins for praise, doesn't.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 04:35 am
@izzythepush,
pot, meet kettle.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 05:14 am
@farmerman,
At least I don't resort to clichés.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
You dont consider the overuse of "Brilliant" as a cliche eh?

Tsk tsk tsk. Ever since several folks have been ignoring you, it seems that youve developed an urgent need for someone upon whose head you can lavish some ""izzeelove". It aint me babe.
Its a beautiful Sunday AM here. Therefore I think Ill go a gardening and let you just yell obsenities at the traffic
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:33 am
@farmerman,
It's of course a matter of taste.

Which decade, in you opinion, was the best or the least crappy?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:54 am
Here's a list of Billboard's #1 hits during the 80's. Now all this indicates is popularity, and there are any number of popular tunes that are pure crap, but if you go through this list you'll find some outstanding artists who produced not only first class tunes, but, apparently, popular ones as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_the_1980s

1) Michael Jackson
2) Queen
3) Pink Floyd
4) Billy Joel
5) Diana Ross
6) Blondie
7) Hall & Oates
8) Men At Work
9) David Bowie
10) The Police
11) Prince
12) Tina Turner
13) Stevie Wonder
14) Dire Straits
15) Peter Gabriel
16) Steve(ie) Winwood
17) Los Lobos
18) Whitney Huston
19) The Beach Boys
20) Simply Red
21) Fine Young Cannibals
22) U2
23) Dolly Parton
24) Phil Collins
25) Tears for Fears

I'm sure arguments can be made by some to add others to this list, and I probably wouldn't disagree with them unless they wanted to add The Human League, Lisa Lisa, or New Kids on the Block.

I'm sure someone would suggest the three former Beatles who appear on this list deserve notice.

Admittedly some of the songs that made the list are not the best representations of the artists' work, but I don't see that has relevant - the really good stuff was being written and recorded during this decade.
0 Replies