0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:15 am
Smile enjoy Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:23 am
Col Man wrote:
yes drom i know this much but what i mean is given you are abroad is the play itself spoken in english or in hungarian given u r in B.P.(which i assume is buda pest)

O, it's spoken in English, thank Heavens!

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:26 am
ok Smile and good morning to you 2 d Smile

well d i never know with you being an expert linguist...
it could have been in swahili knowing you Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:39 am
Hey, Col!

Thank you; I guess I could remember her 270 lines in Swahili if I worked very hard, but that's more about memory than linguistic skills! Yet I prefer to perform things in the language in which they were written, as without speaking Much Ado About Nothing in English means that many puns are lost. If some Swahili-speaking guy called Uilamu Chakkspiro wrote it, then I'd want it performed in Swahili too...

(Although, at the moment, I'm translating a book from French to English...)
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:52 am
ok Smile
i understand that Very Happy i agree...

also reminds me of people saying if you translate the torah and the koran it loses its meaning..
i disagree with this

its true that songs translated into other languages suddenly dont rhyme anymore im sure the same is true of rhyming poems Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:58 am
Yes, most rhyming poems don't rhyme when they are translated... certain people debase the poems by not translating literally, making radical changes so that the poem rhymes. I don't do that when translating; I try to match the other language's nuance...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:59 am
I had better go! I'll see you later!

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:01 am
c u Smile
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:40 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
What I said was for real (poor fortune :wink: ). No, serious now: it went quite well. It was only my third lesson so far, so I'm not really a good driver (yet), but he (the instructor) allowed me to do a lot of stuff: steer, change gears, brake, accelerate...

Poor me? Why poor me? Has someone stolen my car or am I simply being spied upon. If it's the latter, well they're welcome to my bad hair day, just please don't say my car's gone!! Surprised
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:07 am
I sort of said I hit some Australian tourists. Because the instructor yelled at me to drive away (as in: GO, GO, GO, DRIVE!), the only thing I could see was something red. I thought it was your hair. Could as well have been blood.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
Ah, the repercussions of my bad hair day are manifold. Don't worry, you mainly hit hair.
0 Replies