Malaysia's 'Scorpion Queen' stung by indifference

Col Man

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040901/040901154508.o97bc7b30b.jpg

KUANTAN, Malaysia (AFP) - A Malaysian woman seeking to reclaim a world record by living with more than 6,000 scorpions in a glass cage for 36 days said she had been stung by the nation's indifference.

Nur Malena Hassan, nicknamed the "Scorpion Queen," set the world record in 2001 by spending 30 days with 2,700 scorpions but Thailand's Kanchana Ketkaew took the title in 2002 by living with more than 3,000 scorpions for 32 days.

The 27-year-old Malaysian told AFP by mobile phone from the scorpion box on the 12th day of her attempt that she wanted to win back the title to make the nation proud but was discouraged by the lack of moral support from her countrymen.

"I am very tense. I have been bitten twice so far and I have to be careful. All my activities are constrained and there's a lot of pressure. But people don't understand how I feel. They think I am just sitting in here doing nothing," Nur Malena said.

"The day seems so long, and there are 24 more days to go. I am determined to make it but right now, I only see a 50/50 chance. I appeal to all Malaysians to support me and give me strength because I am doing this for our country."

With the scorpions crawling all over her body, Nur Malena said she reads books and watches television to pass the time in the 12 feet by 10 feet (about four metres by three metres) glass room at a shopping mall in Kuantan in central Pahang state, about two hours from Kuala Lumpur.

She gets to leave the room for only 15 minutes each day for a toilet break, but she said her toughest ordeal was at night when the scorpions became active.

Nur Malena's trainer, Ali Khan Shamsuddin, said she has built up enough immunity to take up to three scorpion bites in a day.

The feisty woman cried in pain and suffered a mild fever after being stung on the neck and near the eye on the second and sixth day of her attempt but she had recovered without treatment, he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 484 • Replies: 0
No top replies