Australian band seals itself in plastic bubble to record alb

Col Man

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:06 pm
Australian band seals itself in plastic bubble to record latest album

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040831/040831171655.fn6j0p140b.jpg

MELBOURNE, Australia (AFP) - An Australian band sealed itself inside a plastic bubble in central Melbourne and set itself the task of recording an album while the public looks on over the next three weeks.

Brisbane-based trio Regurgitator will not be able to leave the 60 square metre (646 sq feet) dome during the recording process in a stunt that echoes US magician David Blaine's 44-day fast in a glass box suspended above London's River Thames last year.

Unlike Blaine, the band will receive regular meals but their every movement, aside from a small closed-off area set aside for ablutions, will be subject to public scrutiny and webcast live on the Internet.

Band member Ben Ely said Regurgitator came up with the idea in 1996 but management dismissed it as unrealistic until Blaine's feat.

He said the see-through studio opposite Melbourne's main railway station would give the public an idea of how the recording process worked, with external microphones to give passers-by input into the album.

"I'm slightly claustrophobic so I was a bit nervous about it at first but now we're all mentally prepared," he told AFP.

Ely said he hoped for a more positive reaction than that experienced by Blaine. Britons tempted him with a hamburger attached to a model helicopter and banged drums to keep him awake at night.

In an initial reaction, one elderly man banged on the studio's exterior as the band prepared to lock themselves away and shouted: "Turn down the music, it's too loud".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 577 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:12 pm
Awesome! I'm definitely going to see them!

I'm a little confused about that "main railway station" thing, but I'm sure I'll find it.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:13 pm
cool Very Happy
take yer camera n post us some pictures Very Happy
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:14 pm
Very Happy Will do!

(That means i'll actually have to learn how to post 'em though Shocked Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
I definitely want to check out the webcast of this!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
Do you know of the band, Fortune? (or anyone here, for that matter?) It sounds like an interesting stunt.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:40 pm
Yup, they're pretty big here.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:40 pm
O, they're apparently in Federation Square.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:42 pm
Ah, that'll make it easier to find 'em. Thanks Drom.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:16 pm
No problem! I never did hear of them; do you particularly like them?

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
Hmm, a couple of their songs are all right. They're not my favourite but they are popular.
0 Replies