Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:01 pm
Isn't that another thread Thok :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
No:

Rick d'Israeli in this thread wrote:
No, NO! That's OLAV... I'm RICK ... R-I- ... ehh ... - H - ... no ... -C-K!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
Ehw ... my apologies ... well seen Thok :wink:
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:24 pm
Where on earth did you get Babylonian coins, Col!?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:30 pm
from a coin dealer d
well he said they were babylonian anyway
they are strange round silver things that have a weird head like thing hammered into them
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:36 am
Hmm, real Roman coins are nearly always in museums, Col. There are thousands of fake ones going around. Perhaps you should check with your museum to see whether it is real?

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:14 am
I have a bunch of Babylonian coins, but I suspect they are fakes. They have a hammered Bush on the back of them.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:14 am
the roman ones i have are surely real i know as i got them from respectable coin dealers the babylonian one i got of some dodgy guy so im not so sure about them

a hammered george bush is that cav?
i hear he likes his drugs...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:19 am
Yep, I'm pretty sure it's George W. Bush. The coin dealer tried to tell me it was Namtar, god of the Sumerian underworld and the bringer of disease and pestilence to humans, but I have my doubts.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:22 am
Heheheh.

How much did you pay for them all?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:24 am
Very Happy ok
be careful you dont want to piss Namtar off by likening him to george bush or maybe some of that pestilence and disease will be coming your way Wink

on a slightly different not ive a couple of canadian coins from the mid 1800' one is a silver half um dollar? well a half some thing anyway from 1842 which is really rare and i have like a penny from new brunswick or something like that from around the same time
i cant remember exactly what they are now its been a long time since i saw them (i have them stahsed, you see, in a safe)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:30 am
Those are rare coins indeed Col Man. I have some silver dollars and half dollars from Canada, but not that old. I have a few tiny silver nickels, which used to be called 'shinplasters' for some reason, which only date back to the reign of George V.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:34 am
yeah Wink so i hear Smile
the silver one is worth a few hundred and if it was in better condition, which sadly it isnt, it would be worth around a thousand or something like that....

i neve heard of shinplasters, although i do have a massive book of world coins with every coin minted since 1801 listed - there are so many
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:36 am
Most shinplasters aren't terribly valuable, unless in mint condition, but they are cool to have. They are about the size of our subway tokens, but much thinner.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:45 am
erm ok Smile well i wouldnt know how big yer subway tokens are cos ive never been there how big are they in cm or mm? diameter wise?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:53 am
I haven't measured one lately, but I'm guessing, no more than a couple of centimeters wide, maybe a few mm thick. Shinplasters, the term, also refers to some paper money printed in Canada. I will post some links here for your interest:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/English/DoC/Shinplasters.htm

and this was quite enlightening:

http://www.canadiancoinnews.ca/stolen.html
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:56 am
cheers matey Very Happy
0 Replies