Bush protester hits the water

Col Man

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:57 pm
CANBERRA (Reuters) - An American man, reportedly angry about U.S. President George W. Bush and other world leaders, has set off in a canoe to paddle from northern Australia to Indonesia in protest, police say.

The man, identified only as a 38-year-old American, set off from a beach in the tropical northern city of Darwin late on Monday in a 6-metre (20 feet) outrigger canoe for Indonesia, more than 1,000 km (620 miles) to the north.

His stunt sparked a massive search across crocodile and shark-infested waters off northern Australia. Police have also asked commercial shipping to be on the lookout.

Australian radio reported on Thursday the man had landed on a beach on Bathurst Island, 80 km (50 miles) north of Darwin, on Wednesday and asked locals if he had reached Indonesia.

When told no, he pitched a tent, slept for the night and then resumed his journey the next morning. Police went to Bathurst Island but the man had gone by the time they arrived.

"They said he seemed quite well, in good spirits," police spokeswoman Sue Bradley said by telephone from Darwin.

Witnesses in Darwin told police they saw the man, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, load six jerry cans into his white canoe, which has an outboard motor but no radio or distress beacon.

At least three of the cans contained fuel and he also has some food and water. "How long that's going to last is probably one of the concerns," Bradley said.

Australian radio has reported the man is protesting against Bush, Bush's close ally Australian Prime Minister John Howard and Indonesian leaders. "We don't really know because we haven't actually spoken to him," Bradley said.

link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040902/80/f1r44.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 489 • Replies: 8
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:18 pm
Cool. But I find this as stupid a protest as stitching one's eyes together.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:21 pm
I doubt anyone'll ever see him again. That's some dangerous water.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
Are there many islands on the way at which he can stop? I don't fancy his chances, at all.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:26 pm
I don't have a map in front of me but there are zillions of little bits of rock off the coast of Oz, but there's also a helluva lotta water...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:44 pm
So, that's where Wilso has been.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:47 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 10:48 pm
Sounds like just another bit of 'chum' to me.

EEK!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 03:30 am
Well, the sensible way to protest would be to go around to America and rally people to vote against Bush.

Of course, sensible ways are so out of mode for most people...

0 Replies