Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:00 pm
Hello I did a search for informaiton on raw diet and infection and found some postings here on people that use raw diet.
I bought a formula of raw beef with bone for my cats. Gave it to my kittens that are seven + weeks old that night. Noticed the next day they weren't eating any hard food at all and they were squirting dieareah bad. Like watery stuff. called vet and he had me put them on I/D from Science diet. What else can I do to get them back on track? They have thrown up some too. ANy suggestions. At this age they can't go long before they loose weight and all that.
Thanks
bnegcats
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,891 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:47 pm
Your vet gave you advice without seeing the cats? Are they up to date on shots? For the future, never change a cat's diet abruptly. In the short term, if they're not ok tomorrow, bring them into the vet's.
Vivien

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
Natural live yoghurt replaces the bacteria in the stomach that digest food properly - it saved our orphaned kitten who was going downhill with diarrhoea.

I gave her a generous teaspoon with each feed. It worked very very fast as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:00 pm
good idea vivien - make sure the yogurt is plain - no sugar.
0 Replies

Douglas

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:07 am
@bengcats,
Hi,..
he is a little young to be away from mum as she is still producing milk until they are at least eight weeks old and they should not leave mum until at least nine weeks old. kittens must have kitten food as they grow so quickly there isn't enough fats, proteins etc for their fast growing bodies.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:31 pm
@littlek,
Actually, you don't have to see the cats to know that a raw beef and bone diet is a bad idea for seven-week-old kittens. It is unlikely that they would all develop and intestinal infection simultaneously, so the dietary change is the likely culprit. Anything they will eat is good, and bland (I/D) is better. Kaopectate can't hurt, no matter what the problem is.
0 Replies