Irish eccentric condemned to 3000euro fine for Olympic Stunt

Col Man

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040830/040830170911.jxkyoh1g0a.jpg

ATHENS (AFP) - An Athens court slapped a 3,000-euro (3,700-dollar) fine on the Irish-born former priest who disrupted the Olympic men's marathon by pushing the race leader into the crowd.

The flagrant crimes court convening in Athens also barred Cornelius Horan, 57, from attending any sport events in Greece for three months.

A 12-month prison sentence against Horan was suspended for three years. He paid the fine and was released.

Horan told the court he wanted to announce the Second Coming of Jesus and did not intend to obstruct the marathon's Brazilian race leader Vanderlei de Lima.

The Irishman, who now lives in London and has staged a number of demonstrations at high profile events, apologised for the incident and said he would not repeat it again.

Horan was wearing a red kilt and green waistcoat when he bundled into de Lima. He carried a placard saying "The Grand Prix Priest. Israel Fulfilment of Prophecy Says The Bible. The Second Coming is Near".

De Lima managed to rejoin the race but was passed two miles later by Italian Stefano Baldini and finished in third place. He was later awarded a fair-play medal by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge in front of hundreds of millions of television spectators during the Games' closing ceremony.

Describing himself as "a Catholic priest on sabbatical", Horan was jailed for two months last year for a dangerous protest at the British Grand Prix when he ran out on the track and forced Formula One drivers to swerve to avoid him.

Horan's Athens stunt was widely condemned in Ireland. The Irish Times said Horan caused one of "the biggest scandals" in Olympic history.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 651 • Replies: 16
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:01 am
Hardly one of the biggest scandals, but that's the Irish press for you, I guess! What a nutcase. Still, if there were a second coming, he's probably in an insane asylum now...

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:05 am
have you seen the footage of him dodging racecars? wingnut's lucky to be alive...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:07 am
Calling him an eccentric is being rather kind, isn't it? The man's a threat to himself and others...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:09 am
Sadly, they label madmen 'eccentrics,' not knowing the difference.

*sighs*

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:25 am
Region Philbis wrote:
have you seen the footage of him dodging racecars? wingnut's lucky to be alive...

No, I've not, Region. How can this be spreading God's message? (Well, apparently it does, but not in the way that makes one trust the church!)

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:30 am
http://www.presheva.com/nuclearblast/corneliushoran.jpg

the cars were going upwards of 100mph, if not faster...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:33 am
But supposing he's RIGHT?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:34 am
wether hes right or wrong wont change anything anyway
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:34 am
Then we shall all praise the flourescent, kilt-wearing loon as a Messiah, and his words will form the new bible.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:35 am
i heard a romour that you were into the rosicrucian thing steve...
what do they say about such things...?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:36 am
You mean like the last one?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:39 am
A rumour eh?

I would think they would regard him as a dangerous lunatic.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:45 am
Just because you're a dangerous lunatic doesn't mean you can't be a valuable member of society. Why, just look at the politics threads!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:48 am
And just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:14 pm
And just because he's Irish ... errr, nevermind, that isn't going anywhere good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:13 pm
I'm irish (although of course the irish on the isle are not so keen, I don't think, on heritage seekers, another whole subject) and I insist I am not a lunatic, today. This fellow is dangerous, and I am amazed... he can't come back to Greece for three months?
The thing with the race cars endangered several drivers and, yes, himself. Boy needs some restraining mechanism, he is acting out quite badly.
0 Replies