Australian hole-in-the-wall robbers escape

Col Man

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:18 am
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Two Australian bank robbers trapped inside a Sydney bank by heavily-armed police, escaped through a hole in the bank's wall and melted into a large crowd of spectators.

While police trained their weapons on the bank from behind an armoured van they were unaware the bank robbers had left empty-handed. Police stormed the bank to find it empty.

The drama began when a female bank worker opened the St George bank in Neutral Bay, an affluent northern Sydney suburb, police superintendent John Sweeney told reporters.

Suddenly an armed man tried to seize the woman, who fled and raised the alarm. The two bank robbers then locked themselves in the back of the bank, holding two female bank staff hostage.

A few hours later the two women were allowed to leave the bank, while armed police remained at the front door, snipers crouched behind cars and a police helicopter hovered above.

Eventually police stormed the bank but the robbers had left, perhaps hours earlier, Sweeney said.

"Access to the premises is from a vacant building next door and it is a bit of a rabbit warren around the rear," he said.

"They have actually crashed through a double brick wall, they have drilled a hole through it, so it's a reasonable assumption (they escaped through the hole)."

The robbers had not tampered with the bank safe, Sweeney added
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 356 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:37 am
Heh heh. About a year ago I was walking down the beach along the peninsula when I came across a cash register.

A cash register.

Just sitting there, half submerged, and completely empty. Two guesses why it was there.

And hi there Col Man!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:41 am
hey fortune Very Happy how ya doing ? Very Happy
yeah man a few years ago in england there was a drought and all the reservoirs levels went down to nothing hmm a bit like what is going on for you over there....
and me and a mate went to one of these reservoirs and under a bridge we found a half submerged in the sludge a safe! it was a massive green thing way too heavy to lift...someone had cut a hole in the back, taken the loot, and thrown it from the bridge into the reservoir.. i bet they never thought that it would be found.. but it was... by us..
Very Happy
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:45 am
Doing very nicely thanks!

Funny the things you find...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:47 am
glad 2 hear it my dear
i am too
and yes theres some strange goings on, on this planet, every day!
theres no end to weird news Very Happy
0 Replies