MP3 vs WMA and portable players

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:12 am
Everyone is talking about MP3's and I know that they take up less room than MWAs but, what else do I need to know about them?

I just got a Dell Jukebox and previously I had ripped all my CDs to my computer to make my owns disks to listen to in my car, at work, etc. My car CD player is an old one so, it doesnt read MP3s so, they're all WMAs.
The Jukebox takes the WMAs but, what is the differences between them?

What about downloading music? Can you only download MP3s from these silly places that sell them? How long does it usually take--Im on dial up. sigh.

Anything else I need to know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,410 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:04 pm
Re: MP3 vs WMA and portable players
WMA is a better compression than mp3 and the files are actually smaller.

As to the download services, the paid ones tend to be very restrictive and proprietary (e.g. itunes only play on ipods etc).

On the unregulated p2p networks you can download just about any kind of file and most tend to be mp3.

The main difference is the following:

WMA = Better encoding (better quality vs. size)

MP3 = slightly more prevalent and a wee (I emphasize wee) bit more compatible with verious software and hardware.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 03:52 pm
interesting.

I sat at the beach today and listened to what I already had and Ive gotta say, it sounds great just the way it is.

I was afaraid that most downloads would be MP3s but, didnt know they were specific to device. humph.

thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:53 pm
mp3 is a format that usually works on any device. It's odd that it doesn't work on yours.

Are you sure that your car CD player won't read mp3s? I'm not aware of any that will read WMA but not mp3 (WMA is a newer format).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:29 pm
Yeah, um..1994 6-CD changer-plays via FM transmitter.

I had found it previously somewhere. Its a Pioneer, thats all I remember off the top of my head.

I reloaded my CDs and found 1 giving me trouble, Im going to try to delete that and reload it again...argh...I actually bought this one to make sure I would have it.

The three disk set I picked up at the bar works fabulously though. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:29 pm
Um, maybe it's playing regular cds but not playing either WMA or mp3 cds?

Put is this way, how many songs fit on the cds it plays.

With either wma or mp3, it would be around 100. Regular cds would usually be under 20.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:33 pm
I think in the past cd players that played mp3 and WMA were in the minority, but thet are becoming more common and a little less expensive.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:52 pm
Yes, the cds fit about 10-13 songs.
So, it automatically took my wma files and made them....what?

sigh.

So-it doesnt play anything really is what you're telling me-just some regular audio file?

Funny-it was the newest and most fabulous thing when I bought the car. make even me feel old.

I do have to say once again...this thing sounds FABULOUS. Technology is great.

Anyway....onward. Up to date so to speak I suppose. Probably about time also.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:18 pm
Sounds like .wav files then, it's unlikely that it's WMA files (they are usually a wee bit smaller than mp3s and should fit 100 per CD easily).

Sorry to bear the bad news.

But the good news is that the new crop of receivers usually support mp3 and WMA without charging a premium for it. I've seen 100 dollar car receivers that support 'em.

In fact, it's hard to get one that doesn't these days.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:30 pm
True, these days it is easier to get what you need to be compatible, thanks.
0 Replies

TitanNC

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:06 pm
CD file Types
guys when u burn a cd using windows media player or any program like it the format it is converted into is .CDA or compact disk audio

no they arent .wav and they do make<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=mp3&id=13';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."><a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=Mp3&id=17';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> mp3 </a></a>cd players for very cheap
0 Replies