the world will flip its rotation in 30 years???

Vivien

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:49 am
link to the article:article

Sir Ian Rankin has a theory that the word flipping its orbit is the cause of past ice ages and says that the world will flip again in 30 years, causing a new ice age - see the article above.

bbrrrrrrr Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 801 • Replies: 8
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:50 am
I'm making reservations at the Anchorage Inn and all I get is a busy signal.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:35 pm
When penguins fly.

Rankin is a crackpot, and it amazes me that anyone would waste time and money on his book.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:41 pm
Flipping orbit? I've heard of flipping poles, but orbits?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:51 pm
Damn, i can write tripe at least as good as that . . . why can i find a publisher?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:20 am
Laughing

well we'll find out in 30 years!
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:25 pm
Quote:
At the centre of the book is what he calls his "new theory", a rather bold contention that gravity doesn't exist (hence the Earth can flip over) and that the Sun isn't the centre of the solar system, but is revolving round a magnetic centre - a black hole that is as yet undiscovered.

This had me laughing pretty hard. I would love to see this guys model of the solar system predict planetary motion with a yet undiscovered black hole at the center and the sun revolving around it!

and heck yeah I was thinking at first they must have meant magnetic poles reversing. Boy was I surprised! <grin>

In my opinion this guy is just onto his next get rich & famous by whatever means necessary kick.
0 Replies

JMeert

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:18 pm
Vivien wrote:
Laughing

well we'll find out in 30 years!

JM: Actually, if he's like most crackpots we won't. The so-called "Jupiter" effect was supposed to cause worldwide havoc in the early 1980s. When the disaster didn't occur, they 'reexamined the data' and moved it to the 1990's...when it failed to occur then, they 're-examined the data' and moved it to the 2010's. The good thing is that this guy will likely be dead and won't get to re-evaluate the data. There is simply no support for this type of event, sorry.

Cheers

Joe Meert
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:23 pm
he'll be communing with Eric Von Daniken by then you think? oh well some other scientist will re-evaluate the data Very Happy - or we may be re-evaluating the data sitting on our glaciers?
0 Replies