Undies survey reveals nation of slobs

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:41 pm
The UK has become a nation of "slobs" who think nothing of going out wearing dirty clothes - including unclean underwear - according to a survey.

Many people were happy to put on grubby garments because they "couldn't be bothered" to do any washing, according to the survey.

While the poll found men were generally the least hygienic, many women's standards of cleanliness had also slipped.

The survey of 1,000 people asked in what situations it was acceptable to wear dirty clothes.

Three out of 10 men thought nothing of going to work with a stain on their shirt if there were no meetings planned.

The figures rose to almost half if it was a family occasion, while 44% said they would wear the same shirt on a night out with their mates in the pub.

Women had higher standards in this area, although 17% of those questioned said they would still be happy to wear a stained shirt to work or out with friends. Some 44% thought it acceptable to wear a dirty shirt if they were meeting up with family.

Almost one in five men admitted occasionally digging out dirty underwear from the washing basket if there was nothing clean to put on. Two per cent said they did this "often".

Among women, 8% said they occasionally put on underwear they had already worn for at least one day, although none claimed to do so on a regular basis.

The survey showed 60% of men and 54% of women thought the UK was becoming a nation of "slobs". While 48% of 18 to 24-year-olds hold the view, the figure rises to 77% among over 55s.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,295 • Replies: 96
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 04:46 am
Heh heh... yes, this is a phenomenon that I call 'The Trisha Generation...' Wink

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:03 am
ironically i used to an extreme case of this but recently ive been very clean indeed
ever since i discovered the joys of the sauna and steam room down the gym
also i purposefully have bought myself something like 50 pairs of socks and 50 pairs of undies so i have 2 months supply Smile
this way i can be lazy when i wish and not wash and yet still have plenty of clean pairs Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:13 am
Heavens, how much did all those socks cost??

Anyway, I bet that you were never part of the Generation T, Col...

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:19 am
Col Man has the right idea. I have a seemingly endless supply of socks and underwear, because I hate doing laundry as well, but like being clean.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:30 am
thanks cav Smile i reckon i do

drom i bought a lot of my socks and undies at leeds outdoor market cheap Wink
i did go to tk maxx and buy several pairs of dkny, valentino, armani and yves saint laurent undies for special occasions Wink but mostly i have cheapies from the market
i have a few pairs of designers socks too but once again most are from the market
i think ive about 10 pairs of jeans too and 10 pairs of surf shorts and loads... i mean loads... of t shirts
only 3 or 4 coats though
and drom how exactly do you define generation t?
i was terrible when i used to smoke weed i didnt wash or anything
i was a dirty smelly hippty back then
not the clean and shiny hippy i am now
Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:31 am
drom when you earn a thousand quid a week you dont care what these things cost Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:41 am
Gen T are these people who go around in tracksuits all the time, who watch morning TV shows like 'Kilroy' and 'Trisha,' whose existences seem devoid of meaning...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:42 am
Designer socks?? Jesus... I can't believe that things have gone this far...

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:44 am
There is designer underwear as well.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:44 am
Which of course, brings me to a story....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:45 am
yeah man they have...its all a real mess out there
people only judge you by what you wear in babylon...
im not of gen t thank god and my life is far from devoid of meaning
in fact theres so much meaning in my life i think im going to explode Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:46 am
go for it cav im all ears Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:46 am
friends.. romans.. countrymen...
lend me your ears...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:47 am
Do tell, Cav...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:48 am
(Why is it that people bother spending so much money on underwear and socks? That's totally twisted...)

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:48 am
(Do you feel pressurized, or something?)

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:51 am
Well, my dad likes a particular sort of underwear, of the designer type (I really wish mom didn't talk so much sometimes Laughing) that is rather hard to find in the city. So, she finds herself in the gay village and pops into an underwear shop where they do carry the brand. She couldn't have cared less where she was, god bless her, but the service staff got very uptight. They carry regular undies, and 'fetish' undies as well, and were clearly uncomfortable with a middle-aged straight woman buying undies for her husband. They even suggested she shop elsewhere (at a store that doesn't actually exist anymore). Anyway, she said forget about it, and bought the undies there. We all had a laugh at the story when she told it actually, the gay folk being uncomfortable around the straight woman....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:51 am
i only did it because it drove me crazy having to wash them every few days
hahaha i like it Wink
yes my dear
there is so much peer pressure nowadays that your not a human being unless you have designer clothes Shocked
many women judge men by their underwear.......
im not so affected by it but i got to live with these people so i have a few pairs so i fit in Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:53 am
Shocked thats a far out story cav Shocked
0 Replies