tuition teacher

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 12:31 pm
Our local newspaper reporters use the term "tuition teacher" to refer a person who gives tuition either in a tuition school or who teaches one pupil at a time privately. I am aware it is the wrong term.

1. What is the correct term for the person who teaching in a tuition school?
2. What is the correct term for one who teaches privately?

Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 554 • Replies: 11

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 12:40 pm
@tanguatlay,
What is a tuition school?
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 12:50 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

What is a tuition school?
I think I should have used "tuition centre". This is the place where students go to for help in their weak subjects. The teachers there will teach them in a small group. We call these teachers wrongly as tuition teachers.

There are some "tuition teachers" who teach privately on a one-to-one basis.

What is the correct term for both groups of "tuition teachers"?

Thanks.

engineer

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 12:56 pm
@tanguatlay,
I think we would use the word "tutor" for someone who works with students needing help in their studies.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:02 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think we would use the word "tutor" for someone who works with students needing help in their studies.
Do native speakers use "private tutor"?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:03 pm
@tanguatlay,
I would call both of those groups tutors. Tutors can provide assistance to students individually or in group settings.

We don't have anything we call tuition centres here so your description is a bit of a puzzle.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I would call both of those groups tutors. Tutors can provide assistance to students individually or in group settings.

We don't have anything we call tuition centres here so your description is a bit of a puzzle.
Then what do natives call such centres?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:27 pm
@tanguatlay,
I looked it up. If the tutoring is not done in a student's home, it is done at either a tutoring centre or tutoring academy.

Here, we use tuition to refer to the actual cost of classes at a school/college/university.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:29 pm
@tanguatlay,
Where I live - a tuition teacher (which I take to mean private rather than public school) is still called a teacher; one that would privately teach one pupil - I am guessing this is a situation where the child attends school, but then gets additional teaching privately - maybe to help them? If so, we call them tutors. If it were a situation say like a home-schooled child - taught privately at home full time - I would call a teacher.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:31 pm
@tanguatlay,
Ok for anything with additional help outside of the regular school - we always referred to them as tutors.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 01:32 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

engineer wrote:

Do native speakers use "private tutor"?

We have used private tutor to describe it. Either I have heard used.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:21 pm
When you are paid to teach inside a traditional school, (first grade through high school), you are called a teacher. That goes for whether the school is a public one free of charge, or a private one where you have to pay. The money that you have to pay a school is called tuition. Someone who gives additional instruction to the student in addition to the instruction the school gives is called a tutor. Usually these people work one-on-one with the student and get paid for that. Sometimes a tutor might teach a small number of students instead.

We don't usually have institutions for that, additional instruction is usually carried out on an individual basis.

One exception: There are companies that specialize in giving instruction in doing well with the private exams given in the last year of high school-these are called the SAT, some places have the ACT. These exams, given by private companies, are used by colleges and universities to determine if you are accepted-the higher the score the better your chance of college acceptance. I'm not sure what they call the instructors in those SAT or ACT classes, as I've never attended one.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » tuition teacher
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:15:36