Police Not Amused by Drunk Driver's Smiley

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:15 pm
Quote:
Tue Jan 21, 1:54 PM ET

BESANCON, France (Reuters) - A man who erased his drunk-driving record from a police computer and replaced it with a winking "smiley face" graphic ended up with a suspended license and a fine when police failed to see the funny side.

The 19-year-old computer whiz had been arrested for drunk driving and summoned to appear in court in Besancon, in eastern France, the French daily Liberation reported Tuesday. Finding an unmanned computer as he arrived at the police station for his hearing, the man decided to test the good humor of the court by sneaking into the database.

He deleted his file from the computer's hard drive and inserted "Wink" -- the text message shorthand for a winking smiley face -- in its place.

But rather than smiling at the prank, the judge handed the man a three-month suspended prison sentence, a $425 fine and suspended his driving license for three months.

What's your take on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 4
No top replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:21 pm
It depends on what are the normal sentence is for similar circumstances. All in all, in todays society that is not a tremendously hard sentence. He probably could have even been given another crime of felonious altercation of police records.

Me though, I find it quit funny. Something I could never do. But, if I got the guts to do it, I would have probably put in one of those smiley faces that is mooning!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:29 pm
Altering or deleting files in someone else's computer? He got of easy considering the files could have affected sentencing for current offense.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:36 pm
Re: Police Not Amused by Drunk Driver's Smiley
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What's your take on this?

I'd consider it well worth the $425. :wink: (<- That one is free.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:20 am
Funny, but not very bright.
0 Replies