The Beach Boys!-Fun Fun Fun

hebba

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:21 am
Hey Panzade,
I´ve just today bought "Friends" and "20 20" on CD and love them both.
The "mature" albums are really something else.

Acquired "SMILE" a few weeks ago and I´m totally hooked.It´s strange that no one has written about this album here on the site
0 Replies

deezee

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
well since my favorite song (god only knows) has been posted i hope you won't mind if a newbie and fellow surfer posts a couple of additions.

Wouldn't it be nice

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older
Then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together
In the kind of world where we belong

You know it's gonna make it that much better
When we can say goodnight and stay together

Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up
In the morning when the day is new
And after having spent the day together
Hold each other close the whole night through

Happy times together we've been spending
I wish that every kiss was neverending
Wouldn't it be nice

Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do
We could be married
And then we'd be happy

Wouldn't it be nice

You know it seems the more we talk about it
It only makes it worse to live without it
But lets talk about it
Wouldn't it be nice

Help Me Rhonda

Well since she put me down I've been out doin' in my head
Come in late at night and in the mornin' I just lay in bed

Well, rhonda you look so fine (look so fine)
And I know it wouldn't take much time
For you to help me rhonda
Help me get her out of my heart

Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda yeah
Get her out of my heart

She was gonna be my wife
And I was gonna be her man
But she let another guy come between us
And it ruined our plan

Well, rhonda you caught my eye (caught my eye)
And I can give you lotsa reasons why
You gotta help me rhonda
Help me get her out of my heart

Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda yeah
Get her out of my heart

Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda yeah
Get her out of my heart

Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda
Help me rhonda
Help, help me rhonda

btw... i don't know if you're aware of this but brian wilson has been choosen to receive the lifetime achievement award at the grammies. he deserves it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
Beachboys...Smiley Smile Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
Goodness! What a pleasant surprise...I awoke to the stirrings of a moribund thread.

Thank you all for posting in my tribute to The Beach Boys.

While I'm a fan of the early stuff(before Brian got wildly self-indulgent), I know that the Smile project was long overdue.

You might not know this, but I've been in a BB tribute band for 20 years. The thrill of playing their songs live is awesome. They are truly America's band.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
[img]http://img112.exs.cx/img112/9063/rsclstbrd3a0vi.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:07 am
BBC Radio Player...hope this link works...if it doesn't, let me know and I will post full address. Had a BRILLIANT documentary on the early stuff, with an exclusive interview with Brian, lots of Freshman anecdotes. Also it was most interesting to hear the others talk about Brians 'friendship' with Charlie Manson (through Terry Melcher). Apparently he wrote and recorded lots of stuff with Brian. The tapes are all held in vault. They say that after the infamous murders they contacted the police to make the tapes available (if only to give them an insight into the man's mind) but were never taken up on their offer!?!

Brian described Mansons lyrics as 'dark'

Brian has recently toured GB. He gave credit to the UK for the success of Pet Sounds. :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
Sarah, there's no doubt that the Beatles and other UK luminaries recognized the brilliance of Brian's work before the US did.

Don't forget the link.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
A great review..I wish I'd written

"No Beach Boys LP aside from All Summer Long has such a large gap between its best and worst songs. Even non-fans have to appreciate the production of "California Girls" and "Help Me, Rhonda"; the rest of us can just sit and enjoy perfection on record. Then there's the filler, from the half-assed cover of "Girl From New York City" to "I'm Bugged at My Old Man," which only Brian Wilson could have written, let alone put on an album.

For me, Summer Days starts on track 3. I don't know many people who would be able to sit through the opening duo of "The Girl From New York City" and "Amusement Parks U.S.A.," one of the most grating songs in the Beach Boys' catalog. Why Capitol wanted Brian Wilson to keep pumping out more tripe like this I will never know. From then on, it's pretty smooth sailing. "Then I Kissed Her" is up there with the best Beach Boys covers of Spector songs; you can tell it's a cover, but Wilson has made the song his own. "Salt Lake City" is bearable, but I usually skip to "Girl Don't Tell Me," Carl Wilson's first lead vocal and one of the best obscure Beach Boys songs.

"Let Him Run Wild" and "You're So Good to Me" are letdowns, of course, but that's only because of the two tracks they follow. "Summer Means New Love" is a nice break, especially leading into the crazy "Bugged at My Old Man." If you like Love You, you will like this track; if not, you won't. Anyone who knows the story of the Wilsons' relationship with their father will recognize that the lyrics are not entirely whimsical. The album finishes up with some classic Beach Boys a cappella beauty.

One of the great parts about listening to Summer Days is that a little bit of almost every future Beach Boys album is on here. You can hear the precursors of songs from great LPs like Pet Sounds and Wild Honey as well as awful ones like 15 Big Ones and Beach Boys 1985; not always a good thing for the average person, but awesome for the fan."

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd700/d734/d73490k3ecl.jpg
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/musicdocs_promo.shtml
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
I have a very fond memory associated with the song "Wouldn't It Be Nice". It makes me smile to just see the words.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Aww..It always reminds me of how idealistic I was about first love and moving in together...not having to sneak around...etc
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:26 am
Well, the memory doesn't actually revolve so much around that.....it revolves more around being naked and dancing. But I won't go into it. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:27 am
panzade wrote:
Aww..It always reminds me of how idealistic I was about first love and moving in together...not having to sneak around...etc

What a surprise, huh? Not quite as fun to actually live together as it is to play house. When people are all dreamy about moving in together for the first time I tell them to just wait.....wait until the shoe drops..... and then the sock drops...and the underwear....and the wet towels.... Laughing
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
There's no doubt that "Mothers Let Their Cowboys Grow Up To Be Babies"
My mother and sister always picked up after me...to my chagrin. I've worked very hard to recognize dirt and disorder...though there's much work left to be done.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:39 am
You say you like the old stuff.Before Brian became wildly self indulgent
The man´s an artist. He couldn´t write "I Get Around" over and over!

This was a good thread to boot up again Panzade.
Which one of those Rascals are you?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:01 am
It's so nice to see all the lyrics and hear the songs in my head.

And I saw surfer guy Panzade live on stage last year! It was lots of fun!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:28 am
In My Room
You are so beautiful
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
shepaints wrote:

You are so beautiful

Don't know that one...what album is it on?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
um
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
hebba wrote:
You say you like the old stuff.Before Brian became wildly self indulgent
The man´s an artist. He couldn´t write "I Get Around" over and over...

In my heart I know you're right...it's a matter of taste. Just look what happened to the family in the end.
0 Replies