Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chai2

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 04:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'd also advised her to stop using so many exclamation points.

She says she wants to learn English, but doesn't take the advice of native speakers.

0 Replies

lululucy

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 08:03 pm
@Brandon9000,
Thank you for your advice,now I am deleting this topic.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 09:57 pm
Good luck with that.
maxdancona

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 10:43 pm
@Brandon9000,
Which is worse? Mortal danger or immortal danger?
lululucy

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 10:43 pm
@chai2,
How can I delete this topic?

I tried,but I failed,I can't the route of deleting topics,I think I am very stupid!
lululucy

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:24 pm
I am really sorry to show this misbehavior to all of you even though I really don't know overuse exclamation mask indicate somthing are terrible
Thank you for all of you
I am really sorry!
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 5 Jun, 2016 10:00 am
@lululucy,
lululucy wrote:

How can I delete this topic?

I tried,but I failed,I can't the route of deleting topics,I think I am very stupid!

That's what I meant when I said "good luck with that". You can't delete topic.

What is objectionable to using too many exclamations points is the same thing principle as you saying we think they are "terrible"

Both are exaggerations.

It's not "terrible" to use them, just in most cases misguided.

You've obviously read other English speakers posts around here (hopefully not just on threads you've started), as well as books, articles etc. that have been written by English speakers.

One of the things you will notice are the almost complete lack of exclamation points.

If an English speaker sees one, they will probably think "This person feels strongly in some way about this."

When they see one in almost every sentence, it comes across as exaggerated feelings, perhaps not true, perhaps immature. If you indicate you are interested in something, or excited, there is no need to remind the reader constantly of that level of interested or excitment.

If you were speaking in the tone of sentences that have exclamation points all over the place, the listener would wishing you would calm down and speak in a normal tone.

I'm sure you understand everything I have typed, yet you also notice I have not used one exlamation point in doing so.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Jun, 2016 11:01 am
@lululucy,
You wrote,
Quote:
Thank you for answering me, to tell the truth,I am not good, through my title ,you can find a mistake that I had overused exclamation marks obviously, I want to improve my spoken English!as a Chinese,learn Enlish well is important for us.
where are you from?

Some suggestions: a. reduce the sentence. e.g. "Thank you for answering me. To tell the truth, I am not.... b. comma is placed after a word, not before. c. A noun and verb is a complete sentence. "I want to improve my spoken English. As a Chinese, learning English well is important for us.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 5 Jun, 2016 11:31 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Which is worse? Mortal danger or immortal danger?

After seeing hundreds of episodes of "Highlander," I'd agree that immortal danger is pretty bad.
0 Replies

saw038

Fri 16 Sep, 2016 11:44 pm
@lululucy,
I would be interested in learning in the gaps between the Chinese language (presumably Mandarin) and the English language. For example, how some single words in Mandarin translate into two or more words in English.
0 Replies