Large Fish Catches Boy in Minnesota

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:47 pm
DULUTH, Minn. - An 11-year-old boy was out hunting frogs on Island Lake when he became the prey. A large fish, probably a muskellunge or a northern pike, attacked the boy about 5 p.m. Thursday as he and his young sister were wading in a foot of water.

The resulting wounds on Mason DeRosier's feet and hands required 11 stitches to close.

Mason's father, Richard DeRosier, was in a paddle boat just offshore during the attack. DeRosier, a Lake County deputy sheriff, said he was facing the children when he saw a huge swirl in the water.

"Before I can say 'Holy moley! Look at that!', all of a sudden the swirl is by their feet," he said.

Mason said he saw the fish splash just offshore. "It was like, maybe, 5 feet in front of us," Mason said. "Then it splashed right at my foot and bit me. It hurt."

It didn't let go. "I smacked it in the head and tried to pry it off my foot," Mason said. "He let go, but he bit my hand."

The sister wasn't hurt.

Mason was taken in back to the family's cabin to wash the wounds, then he was off to the hospital.

He received eight stitches in his left hand and three in the bottom of his right foot. He has numerous other bite marks across the top of his foot, his dad said.

"I'll bet he has 20 cuts on his foot and 10 cuts on his hand," Richard DeRosier said.

link : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&ncid=757&e=10&u=/ap/20040827/ap_on_fe_st/fish_attack
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,608 • Replies: 14
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:50 pm
Holy Mackerel!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:03 pm
wow, I might have to look that fish up.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:07 pm
Quote:
The muskellunge is one of the largest and most elusive fish that swims in Minnesota. A muskie will eat fish and sometimes ducklings and even small muskrats. It waits in weed beds and then lunges forward, clamping its large, tooth-lined jaws onto the prey. The muskie then gulps down the stunned or dead victim head first.

Quote:
Northern pike inhabit protected, weedy bays. After the spring ice melts, they move further into the shallows and marshes to spawn. They retreat to deep, cool waters in summer.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:14 pm
cool littlek Smile
thanks for the info Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:15 pm
That ain't no fish story. Muskies and Northerns get pretty big, and by nature are pretty nasty critters. A couple winters back, I was ice fishin'. The tip-up indicated a strike, and I hauled myself outta my warm fishin' shack to go haul in the anticipated panfish. There was mebbe a couple feet of ice, and it'd been snowin' all day, so the fishin' hole was naturally fulla slushy water. Anyhow, I'd haule in most of the line, happy to feel the telltale signs of havin' a good-sized bluegill on the hook. I was just reachin' down into the icy slush to grab my prize when alluvasudden the slush boiled up outta the hole, the line zinged out, went tight, pulled the tip-up right to the hole where, of course, it snagged, and then the line snapped. Glad I didn't have my fingers in the gills of the bluegill that provided lunch for one of The Big Boys.

Here's a nice Muskie (its a stock photo, that ain't me)
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/musky/images/musky_manwithfish.jpg

And here's a stock shot of a repectable Northern:

http://virtualnorth.com/goldeneagle/images/northernpike_1.jpg

Northerns are great eatin', if a little fussy to clean ... lotsa bones. Muskies I don't favor so much, but they're easier to clean. Lotta meat on either, and a real challenging fight is guaranteed if you do hook one.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
Shocked
far out Smile
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:44 pm
Remind me not to go swimming in the northern lake regions too!

EEK!

And here I was afraid of sharks.... <<LOL>>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
http://www.elkinsresort.com/img/fish.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
That's one helluva lake trout there, husker ... where's that from ... Idaho, Montana?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:37 pm
As long as we're showing lunkers...

http://www.thom.org/photos/fish.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:48 pm
Now, that one I recognize. Its just up the road a piece from me, at the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wi.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
I thought you'd recognize it Timber
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
timberlandko wrote:
That's one helluva lake trout there, husker ... where's that from ... Idaho, Montana?

Priest Lake, ID about 2 1/2 hours away
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
Yeah, that sorta looked like Selkirk Country. Damned nice trout fishin' thereabouts.
0 Replies