Australian inventor makes engine that runs off air

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:36 pm
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040826/040826150420.rx7l1mz00b.jpg
Operations Manager Paul Grimes of City-Wide who maintain the city gardens, drives a prototype vehicle

MELBOURNE, Australia (AFP) - An Australian inventor claims to have made the world's first commercially-viable motor vehicle powered by compressed air.

The vehicle is being tried out by contractors in Melbourne's parks and gardens over the next 12 months as an alternative to conventional diesel or petrol engines.

The engine's designer, Angelo Di Pietro from Melbourne company Engineair, said the engine produced no pollutants and had only two moving parts, increasing its efficiency over conventional designs.

Di Pietro said it used compressed air to drive a rotary engine, abandoning the pistons and cylinders seen in regular designs.

The vehicle being tested in Melbourne has reached 50 kilometres an hour (31 miles an hour) in the workshop and had proved more efficient than battery-powered golf carts.

Di Pietro said the engine's potential was immense and he claimed to have attracted interest from the United States, China, the Netherlands and Britain.

link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040826/323/f19tu.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 607 • Replies: 7
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:45 pm
Quote:
The engine's designer, Angelo Di Pietro from Melbourne company Engineair, said the engine produced no pollutants and had only two moving parts

Which two wheels don't move?

Or three wheels. (I forgot about the steering wheel)

Or maybe the steering wheel doesn't move. The car can only go in straight lines.

Wow! Seems to me there's a lot of kinks to be worked out.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:07 pm
yeah they are australians Wink
its all that, being upside down, that must do it Wink
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:22 am
My ex-wife ia a natural for this car. She's full of compressed air.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
NickFun wrote:
My ex-wife ia a natural for this car. She's full of compressed air.

That's a good one Nick.... :wink:
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:45 pm
yeah nick comes out with some classic one liner it make it worth posting these stories just to see what hes going to say
dont leave us nick Smile .. we need you Very Happy
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:00 pm
I shall try to fulfill my mission. It's a dirty and, up until now, thankless job.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:07 pm
i know Confused
i felt it time you should be acknowledged for all your good work and service here on a2k Very Happy just incase you felt unloved or unappreciated Wink
too long did i laugh in silence Wink
0 Replies