Look Who Has a Real Potty Mouth...

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:38 pm
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The citizens of Amsterdam may now take counsel of talking toilets that expound on the perils of smoking or the futility of war and berate them on hygiene and cleanliness.

The first such toilets, fitted with sensors to detect exactly what visitors do and to pass comment if appropriate, were installed in a central Amsterdam cafe Thursday. Creator Leonard van Munster, who sees the project as an artistic venture, will build more if the demand arises.

"You might consider sitting down next time," the toilet told a male Reuters reporter politely in a female robot voice. The next user was told that "The last visitor did not take heed of basic rules of hygiene."

Depending on circumstances, the toilet might remind you to wash your hands or ask you to lift the seat.

"It could suddenly start coughing and warn you about the dangers of cigarettes, or name all the cool movie stars who smoke. It just depends what mood it's in," van Munster said referring to people who sneak off to secretly have a puff.

link :
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20040827/od_nm/dutch_toilets_dc
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 581 • Replies: 18
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
I wonder if it says, "who cut the cheese?" or "Man it stinks in here!"
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:57 pm
Weird. I for one wouldn't want a talking toilet, but this is a brave new, toilet-talking world, so I had better get used to it.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:12 pm
i here there are toilets in london that you pay like a quid to go in and they are on the highstreet, and that they have timers so if you dont finish when the time is up they just open the doors for the whole street to see you sat there....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:56 pm
Who'd pay to use one of those, apart from gluttons for humiliation!?!

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
well it happened to someone who knew someone who knew me,. and my friend told me of his mates horror to have half of london watching him dump...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:08 pm
erm it made no mention of being on a timer btw
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:26 pm
O!! I was going to say.... who would pay a pound, only to have that happen!!

(How long did he get in there, anyway? 5 minutes?)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:43 pm
im sorry i dont know...
this was some time ago and there was probably a public outcry due to this...
so they must have changed em cos i didnt hear any more stories about this... if they told me the truth in the first place that is....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
Knowing Londrone, they're still probably there, opening up!

0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
Good heavens!

Reminds me of my mantra..

"There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home...."

<<Now I'll have to start looking around for Toto again.>>

LOL
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:37 pm
Heheheh Very Happy

Delaware must be saner than London, at least, AngryWaves; are you right by the sea? I have a friend over there, a girl called Laura who wants to go into radio, but I haven't heard of her for a long time.

0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm
I'm about 20 miles inland, but close enough.

A close friend of mine finally got her dream to go to England this past June for 3 weeks. She didn't want to come home.

Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:00 pm
Interesting Very Happy! Where in England did she go?

0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:21 pm
She went on a tour that included London, York, Westminster--it's a long list, but suffice it to say she covered a lot of ground. But she still won't tell me what happened at one of the pubs. I KNOW there's a story there, but she's keeping mum about it.

I have to admit, I'm jealous for I'd love to go to England and see the sights. But for now, I enjoy what I can via BBC America.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:41 pm
I like Westminster; it's the only part of London that I enjoy being in ;D. I love it in Islington too, by the Almeida, with all the weird French restaurants, the Norwegians walking up and down the streets and the little Italian bakeries...

Most of London is like some other country...

What do you think happened to her? Is there anywhere in particular in England that you'd like to go to? You should try to get to Manchester, the birthplace of British Humour. If you ever wanted somewhere to crash wherever you are, I know a lot of people who owe favours to me...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
england, i think, is at its best if you are a tourist..
still i suppose than can be said for many places
its only when you get stuck somewhere does real life hit you...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
You're very right, Col.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:15 pm
Wink
0 Replies