ABUZZ IS CLOSING DOWN FOR GOOD - 9-2-2004

Charli

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:38 pm
I'm not sure where this "Notice" belongs. Pass the word. We used to have some "good" times on Abuzz. Remember? That's where we first met! "So long, it's been good to know ya." :-) :-) :-)

Here's a copy-and-paste from their Home Page:

Note to users: On Thursday, September 2, the Abuzz.com service will be discontinued. We are ending the service due to limited resources for maintaining a quality, moderated community site. If you wish, you may save your discussions by copying and pasting them into a text document before September 2.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your loyal and lively interest in Abuzz. We encourage you to investigate other community sites including the forums on The New York Times site at http://forums.nytimes.com. Please direct any feedback to [email protected].

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,757 • Replies: 13
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:40 pm
Abuzz was a good idea.

But A2k is Abuzz done RIGHT!
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:41 pm
Isn't there already a thread on this?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:44 pm
Re: ABUZZ IS CLOSING DOWN FOR GOOD - 9-2-2004
Charli wrote:
maintaining a quality, moderated community site.

You've got to be kidding, Charli. They didn't actually say this about that cesspool, did they?

Actually, I will miss the old girl, even if I seldom show up.

Do you suppose their management would let our management post an open invitation?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:51 pm
Yes, kerver . . .
Yes, kerver - I spotted the thread AFTER I submitted this post. THEN, I tried to delete this one. All I got was an "edit" option. WHERE'S the "delete" option?

roger - Great idea! Wonder how we go about that? Put up a posting? I would, but I have almost zero time to do any monitoring. Why don'tcha?
Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:55 pm
The "X" is NOT in my first post
The "X" is not in my first post, but it is in the last one. Maybe after someone replies, it's a "done deal"?[/color] Confused Confused Confused Smile Smile Smile

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
Yeah, you can delete till someone posts after you. Sorry to mess it up for you. You can always go back and edit.

I'm thinking such an invitation sould be a management function, but I can't see why Abuzz would have anything to complain of.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:40 pm
but doesnt that mean people, that all the psycho abuzz posters will be coming here to a2k Shocked
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:16 pm
Ah, but we have moverators. Responsive moderators.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:18 pm
Not a chance!
Not a chance, Col Man. Unlike Abuzz, A2K is fully monitored. That's what we're all doing here. Many of us are "refugees" from Abuzz. I'm not sure there has been an actual tally, but there have been threads like, "Are you from Abuzz?" Or, some such wording.[/color] Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:28 pm
ok Smile im happy 2 here that Very Happy
im new to this sort of thing and i checked out abuzz a few weeks ago after hearing of it here on a2k...and i was shocked and horrified by the level of abuse people were giving each other
Shocked the first thread i looked at had posts spewing hate and swearing and the like..put me right off joining...
im not surprised they are closing down...
here instead ive made friends and actually found other human beings Wink
keep the faith and ill see you around Very Happy
be sure to check out my wierd and wonderful stories in Human Interest Stories sometime... thats where i live Wink

peace and love...
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:30 pm
Some "Old Abuzzers" now on A2K
Here are some "Old Abuzzers" who are now on A2K. You'll recognize some of the names as upstanding members of our community here.[/color]

THANK YOU, ABUZZ
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:53 am
Plenty of old abuzzers here and I think we'll be seeing more very soon.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:25 pm
Check out the three Abuzz discussions on A2K
Check out the three current Abuzz discussions here on A2K - not including this one. The posters are some of the many "Old Abuzzers" - now A2Kers.

Go to "At a Glance" in the upper-right corner here. Scroll down and you'll see them with the word "Abuzz" in the subject line. (Spaced apart, not next to each other.)

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies