Demands unmet, Swedish militants decapitate fiberglass cow

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040824/040824191631.70z016yj0b.jpg
A life-sized fiberglass cow, part of "Cow Parade"

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - A shadowy group of militant Stockholmers carried out their threat to "execute" a fiberglass life-size cow after their demand that "Cow Parade", an outdoor art exhibit, be dismantled was not met, organizers said.

"We have received the cow cut into pieces in a bag. It's really sad. There's no way of repairing it," Cow Parade spokeswoman Helene Cederberg told AFP.

The Militant Graffiti Artists last week sent an email with a video clip attachment to Swedish daily Aftonbladet showing one of the exhibit's brightly colored cows flanked by two masked militants clad in black and brandishing electric drills as though they were machine guns.

In the video, the militants reportedly demanded that the Cow Parade "be declared non-art, otherwise hostages will be sacrificed".

"As members of Stockholm's Militant Graffiti Artists, we feel it is our moral duty to defend our city against the cows which have invaded our streets," a distorted voice said in the clip, according to Aftonbladet.

The paper on Tuesday published pictures from a new video film depicting how the masked militants decapitated the cow.

The group, which kidnapped the cow nearly three weeks ago, threatened to destroy the artwork unless the 100 or so other cows were removed from the city's streets by noon (1000 GMT) on August 23.

Earlier this month, when the touring exhibition was in Prague, a cow was stolen and feared dumped in the river.

Vandals also attacked dozens of the Cow Parade exhibition's 214 beasts dotted around central Prague, causing damage of around 1 million koruna (31,000 euros, 38,000 dollars), exhibition organisers said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 620 • Replies: 17
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:45 am
This was what I was saying about Swedish humour, my friends... Laughing... finding fake cows' being kidnapped funny, and disliking the sun, are the two prerequisites for foreigners who want to live there. Perhaps I should apply...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:00 am
I know this obnoxious guy, who was called in by the BBC to do this show, 'Get a new life,' where people are paid to move away from England for a month to the place of their dreams, and then, thereafter, they have to decide whether they want to stay or go... (knowing that their accomodation won't be paid for, etc.) He hates the job, and is a basic misanthrophist... and, apparently, one can see his hatred on the programme with his fake happiness in front of the people & crap when they're not around him.

Anyway, this Scottish family ended up wanting to go to Sweden, and the father's not being given a job as a fireman led to their being headline news for 2 weeks. The local council even wanted to give him a job as a PR man, out of twisted humour... anyway, this gave the guy who does the show more reason to love England, he said.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:11 am
i cant belive they made a show like that.. i bet they got millions of applications to be on it...
i bet everyone stays...
i saw a poll on sky news recently and it asked if people would choose to leave england for another country if they could and when i saw it after a few thousand votes i think 82% said they would leave...

did the family get to sweden?

whats a misanthropist?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:13 am
Hey Col, good evening! Very Happy They made a show like that, but they made it with this misanthropist (someone who hates humans), which defies the point really!

I bet that the only people who would stay are those creaming off the Social Security!

The family stayed in this glorious lake-house over there, and he got a job as a fireman, turning down the jokey offer of being a PR man.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
And they did, indeed, get loads and loads of applications-- thousands.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
hey drom Smile good evening 2u2 Very Happy
thx 4 the answers Very Happy

i soemtimes wonder if gods a misanthrothingy too Wink
and
oh me oh my
hmm people seem generally so terrible to me nowadays i have to pray every day to stop myself becoming one...
i think im reading too much normal news...
more strange news is the only remedy!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:35 am
Hey, Col... no problem! You know that I will always try to find the answers....

I guess that if there is a God, they are just ignoring the world until we pull ourselves out of things... until the Golden Age begins...

Strange news is a wonderful remedy to hanging around the Politics forum, amidst the winders-up.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:36 am
(Incidentally, I have a case of 'song repeated in my head,' but at least it's a great one this time. 'Maps' by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:48 pm
Very Happy hey sorry i had to go out on a bird feeding expidition
then i had to make a stir fry
tis why i didnay reply
i love your god answer i think that your very very close to the truth there....
and i agree the politics thread is terrible
does my napper in
thats why i decided to go the weird news poster job
hmm ive never heard of the maps yeah yeah yeah ill check it out
did you get winmx btw??
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:50 pm
This is such a mooving story.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:10 pm
Laughing hey good joke dude Wink
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
Mornin' all!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:29 pm
hi fortune Very Happy good morning 2u
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
Good morning, Fortune Very Happy!

How was the fishing, Col?

I couldn't download MX, because it said that my connection wasn't compatible... :S.

I'm using Kazaa lite resurrection, now... that's how I got Maps... it's spaced out.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:14 pm
I had eMule for a while there, but my dodgey computer don't like downloading too much. Oh well, I have too much music to listen to as it is.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
eMule never worked for me, either, and Limewire never downloaded anything. Now, Bearshare did, and it even got me rare Beck songs, but that put limitless spycrap on my computer.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
i never tried anything but winmx i used to have napster when it first started
but ive never needed anything other than winmx its got me everything i need

i didnt go fishing thats for barbarians and murderers i went feeding bread to birds
0 Replies