Anyone used 411 lately...it stinks!

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 12:03 pm
So I was stuck in traffic due to an accident and wanted to call and let them know. I have my daughter dial 411 and hand me the phone. It is a robot of course and the charge is $1.99. It looks up your listing when you say the name. The damn robot kept getting the name wrong even when I tried slowly pronouncing each letter.

There was no option to get a real person ... I kept yelling at the robot asking her for a real operator etc. I finally gave up ... had my daughter call someone else to look the number up for us.

Then need a robot that understands various accents and also knows how to spell.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,357 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 12:41 pm
@Linkat,
I haven't used it in so long I forgot that 411 even existed. I use Siri or Google to find any numbers I need.
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 02:37 pm
@rosborne979,
Well I didn't want to use data minutes on the iphone and my work phone is a blackberry so they could foot the bill for the 1.99 - any way wouldn't you have the same issues with siri or google assuming that you are using voice (as you should be if you are driving)?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 07:37 am
@Linkat,
I have a data plan which I never exceed, so I never worry about using the data features when I need them.

That being said, I agree that Siri isn't always so accurate either. There are occasions where I need to pull over and key something in to find it, but I would rather do that than call 411.

I usually give Siri a chance while I'm driving to see if I get lucky, then I pull over if that doesn't work.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 10:16 am
@rosborne979,
the 411 doesn't give you the other option that what stinks - they charge you and then they can't understand your voice. There is a free 411 that I found - 1-800-fre-e411 I just found out about it - next time I will try them.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 11:29 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well I didn't want to use data minutes on the iphone and my work phone is a blackberry so they could foot the bill for the 1.99 - any way wouldn't you have the same issues with siri or google assuming that you are using voice (as you should be if you are driving)?

What are data minutes? If you're referring to your phones date plan (which usually measured in gigabytes), a quick Google search is equivalent to a single barnacle on an aircraft carrier. Hardly noticeable.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 12:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
At the time we were at like 95% of our data minutes. My husband tend to use them up on us.
0 Replies