Finding the Range of a Function

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:07 pm
Hi. I recently started Calculus at my college. Currently, we are learning about functions, domain, and range and graphs. However, I am having a difficult time finding the range of functions. I just cannot seem to grasp the concept of how to find it. Domains, on the other hand, are no problem.

After searching the internet, I have come to find, from many sources, that range is "a bit tricky to find." Most sites I found recommended using a graphing calculator to help find the range. However, being that I cannot use one in class, what is the best process of finding the range? Below are two example problems with the directions.

Directions: For each of the following give the domain and range. Use your answers to sketch the graph.

1.) f(x) = x^2 - x - 12 / x - 4

2.) f(x) = x^2 - x - 30 / x - 6

I can tell you that for the first problem the domain is (- infinity to 4) (4 to infinity). For the second problem, the domain is (- infinity to 6) (6 to infinity).

Any help or tips on finding the range would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Robert2513
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,973 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
First of all, the domains you list on the last paragraph are wrong (unless you are missing parentheis). The domains for both of these problems are (x is all real numbers except zero).

To find the range, you need to understand the function. There is no mechanical way to do this.

Best to sketch a graph, and you need to know how to sketch a graph without a calculator.

Let's start with the first one. The first thing I notice is that it is a standard parabola X^2 - x -4 with an addition term 12/x subtracted from it.

I think the first thing I would do is work with the parabola. Where is the vertex? Does the parabola point up or down?

Then I would think about what the function 12/x looks like. I know it approaches infinity as x approaches zero. A very high or very low (negative) number makes this term insignificant.

Once you understand these two parts of the function, sketching the graph is fairly straightforward.

My guess is that the range will be between some maximum or minimum and either positive or negative infinity.

The key is to not look for a mechanical technique. Each of these problems is different. Look for a way to understand the function. Often separating it into functions you already understand is a good idea.

I hope this helps, I will leave the excersize for you. If you need additional help, please ask.

I will be happy to confirm your answer when you get it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:06 am
(Oh, should the real problem be ?

1. x^2 - x - 12/(x -4)

Those parenthesis are very important. If this is the case I would look at the parabola x^2 -x and the term 12/(x-4).

Good Look
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
Quote:
.) f(x) = (x^2 - x - 12) / (x - 4 )

2.) f(x) = (x^2 - x - 30) / (x - 6 )

this is what he meant, which is why he excluded 4 and 6 from the domain

there's no magic formula for range, you just need to look at the basic type of equation. a good tip is to try pluggin in infinity and negative infinity and zero and see what you get.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:46 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
.) f(x) = (x^2 - x - 12) / (x - 4 )

2.) f(x) = (x^2 - x - 30) / (x - 6 )

this is what he meant, which is why he excluded 4 and 6 from the domain

there's no magic formula for range, you just need to look at the basic type of equation. a good tip is to try pluggin in infinity and negative infinity and zero and see what you get.

Stuh,

If you are right about the parenthesis, these both turn into linear equations.

In general I don't like your advice of pluggin' in values when these functions are easy to understand. It is a better strategy to try to figure out what the functions are about. In this case your strategy misses the whole point (and will not get the correct answer).

In the first case the function is f(x) = (x+3) when x is not equal to 4. This is true because the numerator is the quadratic function (x + 3) (x -4). This means that the range is all real numbers not equal to 7.

I will leave the second, as they say, as an exercise for the reader.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
the suggestions to plug in infinity and negative infinity may not be particularly applicable to this example, but i think they can be helpful to get an idea of what kind of function it is in certain examples
0 Replies