Cell Phone Ringtones/ Do You Download Them?

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:15 am
For years, I had my prehistoric Nokia 6161, which worked like a dream. I realized that now is the time to go higher tech.

Anyhow, I had bought a new phone, from another carrier, but discovered it had one major flaw. It did not connect in many parts of my area. Embarrassed

So I went back to my original carrier, and, as we speak, the new little toy
is rolling on the road. I am supposed to get it tomorrow.

Now being used to a low-tech, black and white display cellphone, I realized that there are many things that you can do with a cellphone.

As I sat in front of my computer, I went to the phone website, and checked up on the ringtones. I WANT a distinctive ringtone.

One of the things that I discovered, which really shows my age, is that in the entire list of the top ringtone downloads, I was familiar only with one.

I figured that I would be much more comfortable hanging around the 80's, classical, pop, radio, TV, movies and disco categories. Those are ME.

I know which ringtone that I want. (Well the one that I REALLY wanted was the one of the guy after he ate the beans, but I felt that that choice was unseemly for a person of my stature. Laughing ) Another choice was Chopin's Funeral March, but since I live in a retirement town, I decided that that was not in the best of taste.

There was a free download of "The Star Spangled Banner", but I thought that might stir up some political controversy in the liberal pockets of my area. I know that the rednecks would love it. I also wondered that if I chose that ringtone, would everyone within hearing distance stand up everytime that I had a call?

The Village People's song, "YMCA" sounded very sprightly, and I do love that tune, but I was afraid that the gay connotation might bring on unwanted advances. I also kinda liked Richard Belzer shouting "Pick up the damn phone", but that too might cause controversy.

My husband thought that I was being silly, spending so much time checking out ringtones, but I was really having a good time doing it.

Do you download ringtones for your cellphone? What tune do YOU use? Do you have different ringtones for all of your contacts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,892 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:19 am
(see below)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:20 am
I found that so many people use 'distinctive' ring-tones, that I just use 'Ring Ring' and I can tell if it's my phone or someone else's!

Previous tones have included "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", "Light My Fire" and "People Are Strange".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
I think all those optional tones are kinda teen-ish.

One of the dogs managed to set the phone to play Fur Elise (she also puts Setanta on hold on the phone, and turns on the t.v. on occasion), but I changed it back to ring ring ring as soon as I realized what had happened.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
Quote:
I think all those optional tones are kinda teen-ish.

Me too, but I still like the idea. Second childhood, maybe??? Laughing
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:07 am
Well, my cell phone is a bit old-fashioned, too. And it just does the beeeep beeep beeeeeeep sound. No multi-something whatchacallit.

But I can download ringtones in the beep beep modus. I have 'Scatterlings of Africa' as my usual tone. It's 'Without you' when BigDice calls. 'Born to be wild' for my friend Uschi and my sister. The Ally McBeal title song for my ex-colleague Susan.

I like being able to tell who is calling. And I always recognize my phone. Well, once I was walking along a street in Copenhagen hearing some kind of music and thinking 'Oh, someone is listening to Scatterlings of Africa. Wait a minute - that's my phone...'

Phoenix, enjoy this second childhood. I think it's fun!
0 Replies