Question: Bachelor in Animation or not ?

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:17 am
Hi :-)

I am 30 years old and I've been a Cartoonist and Illustrator for years. Lately I've seriously been considering doing a bachelor in either Game Design or Animation.

I originally wanted to attend an Art School in my early 20's, but I ended up studying something that isn't creative at all instead. I regretted it for years and could not express my creativity in the field I was in. So I started becoming a Freelance Graphic Designer and Cartoonist on the side and eventually full-time. I took a few classes there and there (Adobe Suite, HTML, Night Art Classes etc.) but no full-time studies, because of time and financial reason.

Now the situation has changed and I would be able to go back to school full-time. I've already started applying to a few very competitive Animation and Game Design schools. They accepted my Portfolio and I am waiting for their final decision.

I really hope this is the right decision though. Some people are telling me I could learn this stuff on my own without doing a bachelor in the field. Is this true or is that just something people say ? I would really like to learn from this experience and I was hoping that attending a good school would open some doors for me.

I would really appreciate if people in the field could share some insight on the subject. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who went to school to study Game Design or Animation that I can ask Sad
All I know is that these are really competitive fields, but I am up for the challenge and the hard work. That's not what I'm nervous about.

One more question... will it matter later in my career path if I went to a really competitive school or not ? Will people who hire me for artistic projects take the good schools into account or will it all come down to the portfolio anyway ?

Thank you for your help Smile

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 03:04 am
@Cartoonist777,
This is the kind of work where a piece of paper saying you went to a good school doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality of the work you can do.

So your decision should be about whether or not this is the best way to get said skills, as you will be hired on the basis of your work (portfolio etc) and the degree you have and where it came from is not going to matter as much.

Some companies just want you to have any degree in any field just because people who have a degree tend to have some "polish" that they want, or because you've proven that you can jump through hoops or just because there are too many applicants and that is a way to weed them out.

But ultimately people don't buy art because you have a piece of paper saying you can make it, the proof is in the pudding.
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
I would add, though, that the better a school's placement department, the more helpful it can be later. If the degree is from X The Best School for Y, then that might have a level of cachet with future employers.
0 Replies