RC officials take hard line on gluten-free wafer

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:05 am
NEW YORK (AFP) - Roman Catholic officials have invalidated the First Communion of a New Jersey girl with a rare digestive disorder whose gluten intolerance put her on a collision course with Catholic doctrine.

Haley Pelly-Waldman suffers from celiac sprue disease and cannot eat wheat, rye, oats, barley or malt, so when it came time for her to take the sacrament for the first time, her mother Liz asked her priest to allow Haley to eat bread made without gluten, which is a component of wheat.

The priest at St. Denis Catholic Church in Manasquan, a town on the Jersey shore refused, so Pelly-Waldman found a priest who would serve Haley a gluten-free wafer.

But last month the Diocese of Trenton, New Jersey, stepped in and declared that the Communion was invalid because of the substitute wafer.

Trenton Bishop John Smith could not be reached for comment Friday, but in a statement issued last week, he pointed out that Catholic canon law stipulates that the Eucharist must be made solely of wheat, and "contain enough gluten to effect the confection of bread."

"This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," he said.

Liz Pelly-Waldman of Brielle, New Jersey, not content to leave the matter there, has written to a Vatican official, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, asking for his help.

"I don't think my daughter's personal relationship with Christ is affected by an ingredient," said Pelly-Waldman. "The divinity of the Eucharist doesn't lie in the wheat."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 645 • Replies: 11
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:04 am
How ridiculous! that's hardly loving one's neighbour... nor is it 'blessed are the meek...'

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:07 am
yeah right the hypocrisy of it all
you cant be a christian if you dont eat wheat.. Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:11 am
If Muslims were doing this, there would be outrage Sad.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:15 am
yeah right
i dont want to open a can of worms here but you know i dont hear of any imams or muslim priests getting arrested for abusing kids but it seems some people (mentioning no names) have been getting away with it for hundreds of years while evryone else turns a blind eye to it cos they 'represent god'
ah *sigh* oh why oh why Sad
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
Col Man, that's a rather large can of worms you're holding there friend.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:22 am
i know fortune my dear Smile
thats why im not pointing fingers or saying names Wink
i dont want to be burned at the stake for heresy...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:26 am
Each religion has evil in it somewhere. Some priests are like that, some Muslim men are abusive toward women... in England, they can't tell the sex of a child, now, because women were thrown down the stairs to kill the child as being a woman was worse than being dead for fundamentalists Sad...

However, stereotypes do nothing but give fuel to be evil. We have to accept individuals as individuals, look for the good in them. If not, more and more people will find that being a good person is pointless, as one is trodden on more. And we surely don't want Timon syndrome killing off the good.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
Smile ha well said Drom Smile
a big gold star for you Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:46 am
Just another example of the senseless stupidity of religion.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
Yay Gold stars! Very Happy (*)

I think that it were better if all people found their own philosophy. In being philosophers, they would learn to accept that there is Uncertainty in nearly everything. Religion often fits in for when people can't do that.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:05 am
Was it Socrates or Aristotle who said that an unexamined life is not worth living?
0 Replies