My dog's got a hemorrhoid

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
That's it. The dog pictured in my avatar at present was dragging her ass on the carpet this morning (the new apartment has carpet, which is a new thing for the pups), so I took a look, and -- well, I'll spare you the details. The poor girl's getting old or something.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,280 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
Aw, poor critter.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:13 pm
Man, you're fast.

She's a generally itchy creature -- skin problems, even though she's a mutt -- so we're used to a lot of scratching and chewing. Gotta say, though, the carpet scraping is pretty funny...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
Puppy scooting is very funny. Too bad it means there's something wrong. Could the, um, abnormality of her, uh, backside be because of an impacted anal gland?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:26 pm
It's possible, but for the time being I'd like to think of it as a roid. It's Friday, damn it, and I'm sampling my homebrew before foisting it on others.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:27 pm
foist one over here! Is it good?

Haven't they taught you how to express the anal sack?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
"They" haven't, but I know how. I just don't want to go back there today. So for now it's a roid.

Beer's not bad. It carbonated at a high temperature, so it's aggressively bubbly -- kinda like Anchor Steam...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:29 pm
so, it's an ale? is anchor steam even an ale?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:35 pm
It's an ESB. Fermented at between 70 and 80 degrees, bottle-conditioned at around 85 degrees in a storage locker.

I think Anchor Steam ferments with a lager yeast at ale temperatures (~72 degrees or so) (first done during the gold rush in California when ice and cool temps were in short supply).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
Ah, beermaking, excellent. :-D

Re the pooch, I don't imagine kericort is recommended for dogs. I hope she's not too uncomfortable.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 06:37 pm
Is an ESB always fermented with lager yeast?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:27 pm
Naw, ESB is always made with ale yeast. Steam, by definition, is made by using a lager yeast at warm temps -- but Anchor is (I am told) the only brewery that does this any more. Mine is aggressively bubbly like Anchor steam tends to be, but it's a plain old ESB. I just don't have the means to stick to the "ideal" temperatures...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:35 am
I didn't think female dogs needed their anal gland expressed. I thought that was only males. Stinky male dogs :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
Quote:
Older female dogs are more commonly affected with anal sac tumors.

http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=3989
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:26 am
hmmm...well then. I stand corrected.
I used to work in a pet store with a vet and we never had females coming in. Just un-neutered males. Stinky. :wink:
0 Replies