The Golden Age Of Pop Music, 1965-1975

Booman

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:32 am
Mr. Stillwater, are you saying the period is overated, in your mind, or what?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 06:06 pm
(This is someone else's opinion, which I happen to share:)

When I was a kid, Zeppelin ruled and The Who were just posers. We argued with stoners at parties about which band was better. Truth is, they were both great bands, but I was always partial to the Led.

Even though I paid $80 for The Who's Final Concert broadcast in 1980, I eventually forgave them and became a Who fan.

So...all these years later, we see these commercials on TV. You see a classic 1959 Caddy convertible on a lonely road heading towards Monument Valley. Perhaps, due to some kind of drug flashback (which might strike a chord with the Zep crowd), the 1959 Caddy Titanic turns into the Cadillac 2003 Super Luxury whatever.

The music is Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll," with each ad approved by Plant and Page.

Sidebar:
Cadillac! America's luxury automobile...getting new life from an undefeated Best Band in the World, Led Zeppelin.

Bam! Pow! Fast cars, you can afford it! ...rock n roll, change is good ...life is short, so LIVE IT - what a message!

...and then there's the poor Who.

For sad reasons I can only guess at, The Who didn't fare as well. Like I said, I like The Who - they are rock royalty....stop laughing. That's why it's so sad, now that we're hearing that Claritin commercial 24/7 on radio and TV.

I don't know the name of it, but it's that greatest of Tommy songs, the one that hits the big climax in that opera thingy. "Right behind you, I see the millions."

...in a what-can-I-do-to-unstuff-my-nose commercial?

How sad!

Possibly the greatest song ever written by The Who, and it stands for a drug that might clear up your sinus cloggage?

Poor bastards.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 09:56 pm
It seems like I can remember going to dances
when I was 11 and 12 years old, and they were
playing oldies - that were Motown music and
this would be in 1961-62. So ... if Motown was
oldies in 1962 then it must have been NEW
in the 1950's don't you think?
All those oldies like Goodnight Sweetheart
and Put Your Head On My Shoulder,
Buddy Holly, The Platters, The Big Bopper
Chantilly Lace .....
all that stuff was already considered oldies
back in 1962 - so, perhaps we need to back
up a bit here.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:43 pm
Motown was started in the late 50's. There are good sounds from any period, even the 80's. More things, and more people happened in that magical period, from '65-'75.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 11:17 am
The Motown music of the 60s was just as innovative as the Brits new version of rock and roll which was often based on the blues. Black and white were firmly bound.
Motown was a bit of a factory I think, a bit like the cars rolling off the production line. It was tho very high quality music. Smooth edges, seamless melody and a quality singer. A lot of Motown stars would come over to London, do some TV and maybe a tour.
Very popular, it was polished but perhaps a bit sanitised
They were succesful because they were very different to the UK's home grown products, which were earthier, harsher and what you got was a pretty hefty musical kicking.

It still amazes me that the UK and the USA/Canada are the only 3 countries that are regularly able to produce quality popular music that sells in high quantities virtualy throughout the world. You could probably name on the fingers of one hand, bands from other countries who have had any lasting success. ---- Abba, AC/DC, INXS, Crowded House, ...........................................and then what ?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:48 pm
Actually, think Motown, and the Brits, made the raw Blues, more palapatable, (I gave that word a good shot, I hope I made it.) to the masses, then lines started to get all blurry, during this period. And this Was a good thing. Lotsa' experimenting, and creativity. Because of this period I think mine and a lot of people's tastes became more eclectic. And music from this period still casts a heavy influence. Look at Billboard, look at movie sound tracks, look at hip-hop samples, look at the commercials, Look at my nine year old grandson singing James Brown! Shocked
0 Replies

me24icm

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:04 pm
@Booman,
I'm doing a party that needs music from 1965-1975 all on one or two CD's. Don't want to just have one artist per CD but a compilation of music. Having trouble finding anything. Hints?
roger

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:21 pm
@me24icm,
Not me, but thanks for reviving the thread. I miss Booman.
0 Replies

Jhanbury 1968

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:00 pm
I would say 1966 starting with Rubber Soul up through 1982 before MTV ruined it.
0 Replies