The Golden Age Of Pop Music, 1965-1975

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 01:53 am
...Can anyone dispute that the most happening, and influential decade of pop music occured between 1965, and 1975?
...Just think of all the things that were happening during that time. Motown, Memphis, Rockabilly, Philly, Jazz-Rock, The British Invasion, Acid-Rock,etc.,etc.,
...It was the beginning of mass cross-over. Not only is music from that period the most influential on today's music, but Stars from that period are still filling stadiums.
...So how about it ...you want to testify or dispute me?

...BTW, the reason I started with '65, is because that was the year, the Beatles,Aretha, The temps, and Supremes exploded on the scene. I ended in '75, because that was when Disco happened. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,266 • Replies: 28
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 02:43 pm
Lots of good stuff prior to 1965.

I would call the era: 1960-1980. Cool
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:00 pm
You're right about that New Haven, but I was thinking, there's no 10 year period, that was so creative and influential.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:19 pm
Great idea for a thread, Boo. I'll chip in a little later, for sure.

A related thread may be found at:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1089&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

timber
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:30 pm
Booman -- I'd say that as i grew up in london, your 1960 is about right. I knew that bands such as The Yardbirds and others were delving into the American Blues. That got me into the original Blues recordings. There was also guys like Duane Eddy, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran coming over to london, followed by the Motown crowd and James Brown. It became a musical 2 way road. A lot of cross polination of ideas.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:47 pm
Here's a related thought, Oldandknew; When I think of The Beatles, and The 'Stones, I think of the former as more polished and sophisticated, and the latter, as raw, and funkier. But I bought the Beatle's Anthology Album, and found out before'64, they were raw and funky.
...And yes, to me, probably the most important thing that happened in that golden decade was crossover, and the breaking down of barriers. Before then my music was mostly, Jazz, and R & B. By '75 I was spending money on people like, Bonnie Raitt, Creedence clearwater, Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Joe Cocker, and the list goes on. I'm listening to "Carole King Tapestry," as we speak.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:15 pm
Booman --- that Carol King Tapestry. I bought it on vynil back in 1971/2 and loved it and wore it out. Back end of last year I bought it on CD and I still love it.
That Beatles/Stones thing. Back then I prefered the Beatles. Today I got a copy of the Stones 40 Licks CD and there are trks on there I didn't fully appreciate then, but I sure do now
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:32 pm
i have music from the '20's to the present, but I believe 70 per cent of my music comes from that period. If you count covers and samples, the percentage,probably jumps to 85, or better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:35 pm
Otis!

I love Otis. And Stax, in general.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 05:14 pm
My daughter, she's 21, is into the new stuff but I can't get into that bag. The further we get from the 50s>>>70s , the less inteesting the output is.
We have a great independant record store in town and it's a treasure trove of great music going way way back. If they don't have what you want, they'll make a big effort to get it. All styles from anywhere. Knocks Virgin into the ditch.
Your point about crossover and breaking barriers is very true, not only in music but carried on into life in general. At last black musicians got big white audiences. As Sozobe says, guys like Otis and the Stax thing were good and big. There's room for everybody. Style and format. It's a shame that these days musical skill has made way for prefabricated bands and computer systems in performances
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:22 pm
I'm thinking, perhaps Ray Charles doing country, and the Beatles being the first highly successful group to come out and state their R & B influences, were pretty big triggers. Of course the practice was already in effect. Even Hank Williams, was taught by a Negro bluesman. Those two just brought things out in the open, and put cracks in the barriers, that busted things wide open. This is my personal opinion.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:16 am
good opinion Booman. 2 web sites I've added to my favs. file

http://www.snowcrest.net/jmike/rock.html all the links you need to great rock and roll

http://www.woodstock69.com/ great music, great event, great movie. Music is available on CD
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:54 pm
Thanks Oldandknew,...Looking at the Goourmet Rock n' Roll section, shows how blurred genre lines became. Carole King, B.B. King, Joan Baez. just to name a few, all under the same banner.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:44 pm
Yeah, it's a fairly heady cocktail Booman. I got a Robert Johnson Collection CD today. Goes on the shelf with Carol King, Everly Brothers, Iron Maiden, T-Rex and a whole bunch more.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
I'll bet you also like a young lady I discovered in the early 70's, almost 20 years before she became an "overnight sensation." Bonnie Raitt...I'm guessing that by your other tastes.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
Oh yes Bonnie Raitt. a lot better than sheryl crowe and allanis morriset. Janice Joplin could make a lot of good sounds as well
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 05:02 pm
Amen, for the Pearl
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 05:40 pm
I also like the the extra bits that session men and singers add to fill in the gaps and augment the whole song. A case in point, I saw a TV concert by Rod Stewart at New Year, he did some numbers from his American Songbook CD and also some of his early rock and roll. Both were very good. And he worked well with the band and the session singers.
I first heard him in the early 70s and thought he was a very good blues/rock singer. His middle period seemed to leave him in no mans land. but now he's gotten himself back and the guy can still do it.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 07:22 pm
using your reference to the temptations, used to listen to these groups too, stylistics, delfonics, spinners, four tops, harold melvin & the blue notes.......
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:08 pm
There wasn't 'pop' music as such, there was a very slick marketing machine that shaped people's tastes. And did it so well that 30 years on, it's now the *best*.

After a brief explosion of talent as artists experimented with R'n'B, funk, and soul in the early 60's it became 'product' - don't upset the artists, don't upset the kids with the bucks. It wasn't as though there were hundreds of competing labels for artists to work with to expand their repertoire. Case in point, 'The Doors', 1.5 good albums - the rest was the same stuff rehashed. So the band got high, the concerts sold out, the record company got rich, doesn't make up for the fact that what was on offer was mediocre.
0 Replies