What is this rock? Please any ideas?

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 04:46 pm
http://s901.photobucket.com/user/BradnMK/library/Mobile%20Uploads

So the story goes as my dad tells it is that when my grandpa was 17 he was out hunting in lower southwest Michigan. He found it in 1939 an we've had it in the family since. My dad has taken it to a professor/geologist at one of the schools around here an this is what he's found out. It's not slag glass, not quarts, not lava, not chirt rock, it's not magnetic so wouldn't that rule out a meteor? A buddy has suggested taktite but never seen one this large. No one has wanted to cut it because of it's "unique" shape. They also say the black is charred. I hope the link shows the photos okay, if there's an issue let me know. Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful and very helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 733 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:23 pm
@Kingbranm,
It really dos look like big tektite. Can you see through a thin slb of it?
TEktites are usually brown or green and in thin section are translucent.

It could alo be some sort of volcanic glass ejecta. Its hard to see from a photo like that. Can it scratch window glass?

Kingbranm

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:48 am
@farmerman,
It's too dense to see through it, we've raised it up to sun slight and other forms of light but can't see nada. My dad says they rule out volcanic when he took it to the school, they gave him a result sheet of everything it wasn't. I'll try and find that paper an post a picture of it by tonight . He just took it to the garage window and parts of it scratched it without much pressure being applied. Also I'll add some cleaner photos of the rock.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:57 am
@Kingbranm,
Its a derived glass of some sort then. A "THIN SECTION" is a 30 micron slice from an area that wont be visible. The chemistry of the rock (compounds forming the rock) will be detectable uner a polarized light microscope. Find a geology prof who's not afraid to take some time.
(That guy who dismissed it out of hand is one of those guys who think they know it all). We should never be afraid to be surprised.
Lists of "What its not" are often full of it.

do you hve access to an ultraviolet light?
It is interesting and Im still left with tektite ( or chondritic bolide)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:08 am
Getting a specific gravity value on the thing might help too. Drop it into a measured amount of water and get its volume, and then get a weight (or is that it's weight on that piece of paper in the photo?)

In any case, knowing its density might help also.

It looks like vesicular basalt. What type of evidence/reasons did the previous tests specify that caused them to conclude that it is not lava (or volcanic in origin)? If I took a chicken to a vet and he told me that it wasn't a chicken, I would want him to explain exactly *why* it wasn't a chicken, or at least tell me what it *was*.

0 Replies