DVD Players

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 11:44 pm
i'm trying to figure out some things about DVD players...

I'm going to be going to germany and living there for a while.....so i was wondering about what to get....

First..I'm going to be playing mainly american DVDs over there and a few german ones as well......so what do i have to look for as far as the codes or compatibility of the systems....can every dvd player play every dvd and so forth?

Also what would be the best to look for? for example...what is progressive scan and do i need it? what numbers of picture quality should i look for? what audio inputs outputs, video inputs outputs, should i look for?

Also any specific brand names to look for or avoid? or do brand names not matter much when it comes to DVDs?

Any help would be appreciated...thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 2
No top replies

brimstone

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:18 am
I bought a cheap one from Asda - it plays everything! Expensive is not always best!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:11 pm
luftpilot : you better do some careful checking to make sure that your dvd-player and dvds are compatible with european standards. i know from experience that european(german) video-tapes can not be played on a north-american video-player/tv. we've brought some tapes back from germany and had to have them converted to north-american standards( i believe it's the "zeilenbild" that is different). conversion can be fairly expensive($ 10-20 a tape). alternatevily you can buy a universal player that will adapt to different standards, last time a saw one in a store it was about $600 on sale. i imagine the same standards that apply to videos also apply to dvds. hbg
0 Replies