Pastor reclaims phone book-ripping title

Col Man

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:33 pm
ROSEBURG, Oregon (AP) -- A retired pastor reclaimed his title as world champion phone book ripper by tearing through 39 Portland white page directories in three minutes.

About 100 people watched Saturday as Ed Charon, 69, ripped the 1,004-page books in half during the exhibition at the Roseburg Valley Mall.

After the first 60 seconds, Charon had already ripped through 16 phone books, three shy of the number he tore through two years ago when he originally set the world's record.

After two minutes, he had gone through another dozen.

Only twice did any of the books give Charon a problem. He paused slightly on the 32nd phone book and again on the 34th before splitting each in half.

He'd almost finished ripping the 40th volume when time expired and the audience erupted in applause.

"Oh, I wanted 40," Charon said. "I wonder how long 39 will stand up."

Charon lost his title in late 2002, when Mike West, a fitness and judo instructor from Indiana, ripped through 30 phone books.

He specifically chose the Portland directory because he said the paper used in those phone books seems a little thinner than in other directories.

"Of all the phone books I've torn, I've found that the Portland ones tear better," Charon said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 663 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:15 pm
What is a phone book?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:20 pm
in this case they mean its a telephone directory book that lists all the telephone numbers in the area.....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:32 am
There's a championship of this?? I can't believe people watch... there must be some enticement for them that my mind can't quite put together.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:40 am
dont you remember ...they used to have things like this here... in the strongest man competitions... i remember geoff capes ripping up bt phone directories when i was young...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:48 am
Ah, when I was young, I kept awy from public spectacles (like I do to-day.) I thought that, in the majority of cases, lots of people staring at something was like flies buzzing around a piece of crap Laughing.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:50 am
and you were right too Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
The equivalent now is things like Big Brother, I guess Evil or Very Mad...

The joys of having no TV ;D
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:55 am
Col Man wrote:
in this case they mean its a telephone directory book that lists all the telephone numbers in the area.....

So "rip" means to put into a form that can be burned onto a CD-ROM.

I don't get the connection to manliness.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:58 am
ha Very Happy i always liked your sense of humour ebrown Very Happy
i dont get the connection either... its just a gorilla thing like beating their chests Wink

and drom... the less i watch tv.... the more human i become....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 07:02 am
Very Happy I think that they misheard 'real man' as 'Tarzan...'

Yes, can you believe that there are people planning their lives around X, Y and Z.. criticisng stars' faults to forget their own..

0 Replies