Martin Luther

saab

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 12:36 am
From 31st of October 2016 until 31st of October 2017 the Reformation will be celebrated.
Martin Luther will became a saint the Pope has declared.

saab

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:15 am
@saab,
Hi, it´s 1st of April
What did you do to fool someone?
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:31 am
@saab,
I think I've got a very suspicious looking face. Can't even fool my cat.

As to Martin Luther - when pigs fly.
saab

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:35 am
@roger,
There was a long article in a Danish paper this morning
http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/kirke-tro/pave-frans-vil-goere-martin-luther-til-helgen
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:43 am
@saab,
The full article explains a great deal.
saab

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 01:57 am
@roger,
The Swedish Christian newspaper had a very good April joke too. That was about putting Easter in the fall as we have few holidays there.
Very convinsing written.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 05:58 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
. . . Martin Luther will became a saint the Pope has declared.
Ya got me!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 06:05 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Hi, it´s 1st of April
What did you do to fool someone?

For one? You blew your cover less then two hours after your initial thread drop. Patience is a virtue. What happened?
Blickers

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, saab should have stuck with it a little bit longer. We might have gotten some people in here who are committed to the Christian unity movement and gotten them going for awhile. Very Happy
saab

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 02:29 am
@Blickers,
I was afraid of the reaction of the far too chrisitans who knows all about after life and little about here life.
Had not the patience to get into discussion.
Tried it on two Lutherans and two Protestants. The reaction was more than I expected. Absolutely quiet. For a long time and then nothing. Thez believed it and I kept serious.
roger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 02:42 am
@saab,
Sometimes, you just have to feel sorry for some people, don't you?
Blickers

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:37 am
@roger,
I google translated saab's article, and to be truthful for a moment there I was slightly wavering. After all, this new Pope is known for departure from several things.

Then I remember a few times I tuned into the Catholic channel on the cable, (EWTN), and remember the people they had on there discussing Protestant churches as a "heresy". They were basically saying to Catholics that there was nothing to worry about, "heresies" in the earlier days of the Catholic church also lasted several hundred years before disappearing, Protestantism is just the latest one. Granted, this was a few years before the present Pope took office, but still.

That's when I realized for sure that it really was a joke, this Pope might change some things but he can't change some ideas that are so entrenched.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:11 am
@Blickers,
I don't think that the view of persons on EWTN can be generalised.

Here in Germny, Luther is considered to be "nearly Catholic".
saab

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 11:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Lutheran church service in Sweden and in USA is so close to the Catholic ones. For me Luther tried to reform the Catholic Church and not start a new religion or denomination.
He remained a Catholic his whole life even though he was canonized.
To what could he have converted.?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 12:22 pm
@saab,
That's definitely so.

I've been a couple of times in his old monastery in Erfurt. Until a few years ago, the 'nuns' there were from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria, the Communität Casteller Ring (CCR) - a Lutheran order for women, following strictly the Benedictine rules.

My wife converted from a Protestant church (the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland) to Catholicism: no lectures, no new baptism or new First Holy Communion, she just got the (Catholic) Confirmation, because that's no sacrament in the Evangelical churches.
saab

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 02:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That is interesting.
Years ago I spent one year in New York. As I was interested in the Catholic Church I took lessons for evt. converting in St. Patrick´s Cathederal, but decided to stay Lutheran.
The only difference would be the Pope I had the feeling of - and he was a bit far away from Sweden.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 03:30 pm
@Blickers,
To be perfectly honest, I had no idea what the article was about and made no attempt at translating. Sometimes, I try to be funny - at least I amuse myself.
Blickers

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:07 pm
@roger,
Quote roger:
Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I had no idea what the article was about and made no attempt at translating. Sometimes, I try to be funny - at least I amuse myself.

No, but I'm sure you realized the idea of the canonization of Martin Luther was an April Fool's day joke. I thought the same thing at first, but after translating the article I was actually not so sure this wasn't an actual occurrence. Then after that brief moment I snapped back to reality-or at least the reality of the positions of the Lutheran Church and Catholic Church in the USA.

I came close to falling for it, with the matter-of-fact way the article was written.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote Walter Hinteler:
Quote:
I don't think that the view of persons on EWTN can be generalised.

Here in Germny, Luther is considered to be "nearly Catholic".

I can only view from here in the USA. Over here, the Episcopal Church, (Anglican), has had several groups try to have the church enter into some kind of arrangement with the Catholic Church, and they have been rebuffed several times. And the Episcopalians are closer to the Catholics than the Lutherans.

That's one of the things that prevented me from believing the article.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 11:58 pm
Is it just Luther who will be made a saint, or does it include Idris Elba?