PLEASE COULD U HELP WITH SCIENCE COURSEWORK

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
I recently did an experiment with hot water in a glass beaker with a form of insulation around it. I now need to write it up but I need to know the answer to this question. How would a wooly jumper and cotton wool keep heat in (not together, on their own, so the answer would be in two parts)? I know that they insulate but how do they insulate? e.g by convection, conduction. By the way this wooly jumper and cotton wool is keeping heat in a glass beaker with hot water inside it. I really need help please, thanking you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
What's your best guess on how they do it? Don't worry about being formal, just type your ideas out.

Joe
0 Replies

00masmit

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:57 am
i dont know apart from it keeps the heat in but it is really annoying me
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:53 am
The heat of your annoyance is getting in the way of the coolness of your head.

How do convection and conduction differ? Which one matches how the wool or cotton work? If neither, how else could it happen.

Cool down and understand heat.

Joe
0 Replies

00masmit

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:31 am
conduction and convection are just examples but here goes...conduction is when heat passes to colder regions of a material, in my case the heat would conduct from the beaker to the table...convection is the concept of heat rising to cooler regions and cooler air taking the place therefore a convection current looks like a continuous circle or square depending on where it is, in my case heat is lost through the top of the beaker...neither insulator controls conduction or convection because to reduce them i have a heat proof mat at the bottom and a paper lid at the top...there are 2 other types of heat loss (radiation, evaporation) but neither can be controled ny the cotton wool or the woolly jumper
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:34 am
Quote:
there are 2 other types of heat loss (radiation, evaporation) but neither can be controled ny the cotton wool or the woolly jumper

Why not?

Now, we are getting somewhere.
0 Replies

00masmit

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:44 am
radiation heat loss is when heat is lost through the glass beaker, there is an insulator that reduces heat loss via radiation, foil which acts as a mirror reflecting back these waves of radiation...evaporation is when water vapour molecules leave the surface of the water they go upwards again covered by the paper lid
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:49 am
The heat loss throught the beaker is conduction. The heat loss from the surface of the beaker after the heat is conducted through its material is radiation. The wooly jumper reduces the heat loss due to radiation, and is a poor conductor of heat itself. So, in fact, the wooly jumper is keeping the beaker warm by reducing radiation, and the beaker thereby keeps the water warm because of the reduction of heat being conducted through the material of the beaker.
0 Replies

00masmit

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:52 am
thanks for your help but how is heat loss reduced with the cotton wool?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:00 am
The same way, you just have to compare your results (degrees of heat loss per [minute?]) to see which one is the more effective insulator.

Joe
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:59 am
Hey Joe (not the tune) -- you're good at this. great bio, too, by the way...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:06 am
Thanks.

Joe
0 Replies