British woman has lucky escape from very unlucky mishap

Col Man

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:40 am
LONDON (AFP) Aug 18, 2004
Most people would think they were supremely unlucky to be struck by a falling meteorite while out in their back garden. But British great-grandmother Pauline Aguss is just grateful the rock only grazed her arm.
The 76-year-old was hit by a swiftly-falling fragment of rock while hanging out washing in her garden in the county of Suffolk, eastern England, the Sun newspaper reported in its Wednesday edition.

If the golf ball-sized fragment is confirmed as originating from space, Aguss will be the first Briton ever known to have been struck by a meteorite, the newspaper said.

Aguss told the newspaper that she had felt a sudden sharp pain in her arm, and her husband found a small chunk of metallic brown rock where she had just been standing.

"I couldn't believe it when Jack found the rock on the grass. I was so relieved it hadn't hit me on the head. I could have been killed," she told the paper.

A spokesman for the British Astronomical Association said it was "quite possible" the rock concerned was a meteorite, while adding that the chances of being struck were generally "tiny".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 279 • Replies: 1
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
First she said, "If there is a God let him smack me on the head with a rock!" The fact that it hit her arm proves he doesn't exist. Or he has a bad arm.
0 Replies