Can someone answer and explain this maths question?

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:25 am
I'm terrible at maths and always have been, I have a test tomorrow and a few questions like this will be included, could you answer the question and give me an easy explanation on how you get the answer? Would appreciate it greatly Smile

1 a. You are contracted to work 32 hours a week and are paid an hourly rate of £6.20
On one week you work your contracted hours evenly over four days - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. How much are you paid each day?

b. Your boss asks you to work four hours on your day off this week - Wednesday. As this is not your working day this week, you will be paid at time and a half for this day. How much would you be paid in total for this week?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 600 • Replies: 2
No top replies

markr

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 02:04 pm
@mintycow,
1a) If you work the same number of hours each day for four days, and the total is 32 hours, how many hours do you work each day? And if you earn £6.20 per hour, then how much are you paid each day?

1b) If you earn £6.20 per hour, then how much will you earn if you get paid one and a half times that per hour? If you do that for four hours, how much will you get paid? If you add that to what you normally get paid in a week, what is the total?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 03:12 pm
This is not really "maths", just simple arithmetic. If you can't see just how simple, you're going to have problems. Anyhow, here goes:

1 a. You are contracted to work 32 hours a week and are paid an hourly rate of £6.20
On one week you work your contracted hours evenly over four days - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. How much are you paid each day?

32 hours divided by 4 days = 8 hours per day. 8 times £6.20 = £49.60 per day.

b. Your boss asks you to work four hours on your day off this week - Wednesday. As this is not your working day this week, you will be paid at time and a half for this day. How much would you be paid in total for this week?

On your non-working day you are paid time and a half. That means for each hour you get £6.20 plus half of £6.20. £6.20 + £3.10 = £9.30. You work 4 hours, so 4 times £9.30 = £37.20. Add the other 4 days, 32 hours at the regular rate: 32 times £6.20 = £198.40. Altogether for the week you earn £37.20 plus £198.40 = £235.60.
0 Replies