Curry chicken or chicken curry?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:00 pm
Curry is not just the spices, it is the whole dish and generically the class of dish.
When you have eaten chicken or lamb or beef curry, you have been eating curry.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:01 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
True enough in your kitchen, but not so much re food experts or dictionaries (I take it).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:36 pm
@ossobuco,
OK, I finally hauled out my parents' now sadly though mildly deformed Webster's New International (1934). In weight, but not its visual presence, it has the heft of a concrete block and is composed of onion skin type paper.

one of the choices, including one mentioning leaves among many others, is curry:

A. A kind of condiment containing turmeric (which gives it a yellow color), curry leaves, garlic, pepper, ginger, and other strong spices.
B. A kind of strong stew, as of fowl, fish, or game, cooked with curry.

Now I need to rest from the hauling of the dictionary and finding of the the large magnifying glass.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
True enough in your kitchen, but not so much re food experts or dictionaries (I take it).

These definitions and examples cover all that I said in my post above.

Cambridge Dictionaries:
Curry (noun)
A ​dish, ​originally from ​South ​Asia, consisting of ​meat or ​vegetables ​cooked in a ​spicy ​sauce:

a ​hot (= very ​spicy) curry
a ​mild (= ​slightly ​spicy) curry ​
vegetable/​chicken/​lamb curry
curry ​sauce

You often use ​clarified ​butter when making curry.
Let's make the 9th a ​definite - we'll have a curry and then go to the ​movies.
I made enough curry for three ​people and he ​ate the lot.
He doesn't like a ​hot curry - he ​prefers a ​mild one.
I'm going to ​plump for the ​vegetable curry.

Curry
verb (FOOD)

› [T] to make a curry with something: Let's curry the ​leftover ​meat.

Oxford Dictionaries:
curry
noun (plural curries)

A dish of meat, vegetables, etc., cooked in an Indian-style sauce of strong spices:

We went out for a curry
A beef curry [mass noun]
She wouldn’t eat curry
The foods served in the Balti pan are freshly cooked aromatically spiced curries.
Lunch consists of rice served with vegetable and meat curries and sauces such as sambol, a spicy mixture of grated coconut and chili, peppers, pickles, and chutneys.
Malays eat rice with fish or meat curry and vegetables cooked in various ways.

Curry
verb (curries, currying, curried)
[with object] (usually as adjective curried)

Prepare or flavour with a sauce of hot-tasting spices: curried chicken
The chef chooses quality and safe cuts of beef from Australia to prepare Western and Asian dishes that are curried, barbecued, braised, grilled, roasted or stewed.

Meat and poultry eaters can select from succulently prepared lamb chops, curried or stir fried chicken, baby back ribs and beef tenderloin.

Suggestions for fillings include curried chicken salad, or any other sandwich filling or vegetable combination.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 04:15 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
No, you keeping pushing that combinations of spices don't count re what the word means.

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
No, you keeping pushing that combinations of spices don't count re what the word means.

Not sure what you mean exactly.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:17 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
try this again -

http://able2know.org/topic/314591-3#post-6151404
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 04:47 am
Curry does not automatically mean a dish with meat or vegetables. It's original meaning, and the meaning it retains is a blend of spices, a sauce or relish to be served with rice. It still means that in India, and word, from a Tamil origin, comes from there. Yellow curry, green curry and red curry are common ingredients specified for dishes in India, and all over south and east Asia. I once asked an Indian gentleman with whom i worked how many kinds of curry there are in India. He laughed and said: "There are hundreds of millions." When i looked perplexed, he said there are as many kinds of curry as there are women preparing them, and every one of those women make three or four or five different curries.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 04:54 am
We like to get ramen (noodles) from many different sources. The Girl has found a market which sells Korean ramen, Maylay ramen, Indonesian ramen, Thai noodles, Filipino pancit, and "instant" noodles of many kinds from China. The noodles from Malaysia and Indonesia have several "sauce" packets in them, one of which is always labelled chili powder. There will always be a packet labelled bumbu, as well. Bumbu is the Maylay word which is more or less equivalent to curry--a blend of spices and condiments. From Goggle images:

http://online.wsj.com/media/1027bumbu01_G_20101027061114.jpg
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 04:57 am
Note that Tes yeux' definitions come from either Cambridge or Oxford dictionaries. We already knew how curry is viewed in the UK>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 05:06 am
@Setanta,
I had one of my partners , a Sikh, and another, a senior scientist, (an Indian from Madras) whose wives each had a separate take on curries. Both were delicious an far from me to pick a favorite . The Madras guy was fond of his curries on the firey side with hints of various flavors, while the Sidharji was always bringing in foods that were almost perfumy with lots of sweet curries and heavy garlic.

An afternoon at our little company, when Ram brought in stuff , could set off the Tedlar H2S monitors . Ya didnt wanna be from the outside world delivering anything .
We aagreed that on our "One -guy- bring- in- lunch-for all- days" had to shift around with incoming clients and outside meetings cause there was NO way in Hell that the garlic smell would go away
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 05:14 am
@farmerman,
All of Korea smells like garlic. The Japanese used to insult them by calling them garlic eaters (which i doubt bothered them at all). The Koreans put garlic and those killer cayenne peppers in everything.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 05:32 am
@Setanta,
My point was more about my own autobiographical memories related to smells and flavors. The smells tickle the hippocampus and memories of times past come flooding back.
I hope I never lose that sensitivity as I grow old. I can still conjure up memories of me as a kid enojoying a great big Italian Sammich and its oniony GABAGOOL goodness.

Curries, by their loads of smell and umami, are like a big playback button .

Course, you could have a great pot of golumpkies going and Id be back at my busha's house eating like a pig.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 05:40 am
Yeah, and the strong smell of garlic evokes Korea for me.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 08:52 am
Here is a typical Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi Restaurant menu, representing maybe 10% of the different varieties of what we call "Indian curry" available in UK.

Add to that the Thai, Vietnamese, Korean etc., and you can see that it can be quite mind boggling, especially when one has left one's glasses at home.

It usually results in asking the waiter what he or she would recommend.

http://restaurantmenudesignstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/indian-restaurant-menu-in-uk.The_Zaika_Inn_menu-02and03.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 09:02 am
Here's an interesting article re. Curry......

Snippet:

"So when the English merchants landed at Surat in 1608 and 1612, then Calcutta 1633, Madras 1640 and Bombay 1668, the word ‘cury’ had been part of the English language for well over two hundred years. In fact, it was noted that the meal from Emperor Jahangir’s kitchens of dumpukht fowl stewed in butter with spices, almond and raisins served to those merchants in 1612, was very similar to a recipe for English Chicken Pie in a popular cookery book of the time, ‘The English Hus-wife’ by Gevase Markham. Indeed many spices had been in Europe for hundreds of years by then, after the conquests of the Romans in 40AD and the taking of Al Andulus by the Moors in 711 AD, bringing to Europe the culinary treasures of the spice routes.

Many supporters of the Tamil word kari as the basis for curry, use the definition from the excellent Hobson-Jobson Anglo English Dictionary, first published in 1886. The book quotes a passage from the Mahavanso (c A.D. 477) which says “he partook of rice dressed in butter with its full accompaniment of curries.” The important thing, however, is the note that this is Turnour’s translation of the original Pali which used the word “supa” not the word curry. Indeed Hobson -Jobson even accepts that there is a possibility that “the kind of curry used by Europeans and Mohommedans is not of purely Indian origin, but has come down from the spiced cookery of medieval Europe and Western Asia.”

Whatever the truth, ‘curry’ was rapidly adopted in Britain. In 1747 Hannah Glasse produced the first known recipe for modern ‘currey’ in Glasse’s Art of Cookery and by 1773 at least one London Coffee House had curry on the menu. In 1791 Stephana Malcom, the grandaughter of the Laird of Craig included a curry recipe she called Chicken Topperfield plus Currypowder, Chutnies and Mulligatawny soup as recorded in ‘In The Lairds Kitchen, Three Hundred Years of Food in Scotland’.

Around the same time the word "consumer" began to appear which, conversely, was not originally an English word as one might think, but derived from 'Khansaman', the title of the house steward - the chief table servant and purchaser as well as provider of all food in Anglo-Indian households.

In 1780 the first commercial curry powder appeared and in 1846 its fame was assured when William Makepeace Thackeray wrote a ‘Poem to Curry’ in his ‘ Kitchen Melodies’.

----------------------
Curry
Three pounds of veal my darling girl prepares,
And chops it nicely into little squares;
Five onions next prures the little minx
(The biggest are the best, her Samiwel thinks),
And Epping butter nearly half a pound,
And stews them in a pan until they’re brown’d.
What’s next my dexterous little girl will do?
She pops the meat into the savoury stew,
With curry-powder table-spoonfuls three,
And milk a pint (the richest that may be),
And, when the dish has stewed for half an hour,
A lemon’s ready juice she’ll o’er it pour.
Then, bless her! Then she gives the luscious pot
A very gentle boil - and serves quite hot.
PS - Beef, mutton, rabbit, if you wish,
Lobsters, or prawns, or any kind fish,
Are fit to make a CURRY. ‘Tis, when done,
A dish for Emperors to feed upon.

http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/curryhistory.html
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 10:06 am
@Lordyaswas,
That menu makes me hungry already.
0 Replies

RyanO45

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 08:59 am
Oh god. I don't even know what this argument turned into. WHAT HAVE I DONE
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 09:08 am
@RyanO45,
You started a discussion.

That's a good thing.
RyanO45

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 10:08 am
@ehBeth,
Well.. true. I did start an argument but y'all carried it on. It wouldn't matter if they didn't carry it on but it's a discussion to carry on elsewhere so that's a plus
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 01:07:08