Curry chicken or chicken curry?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:37 pm
@Setanta,
but new mexican usage is different (chile, chiles) re the chiles grown here, and I'll have to do some looking re mexican usage. It may be the further world that uses it in their english writing, and that I got that mixed up with mexican usage.

My using chilly was a joke.
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:42 pm
Chile is a nation in South America.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Looking at my glass jar full of chili puya, I see you are right re mexican usage.

I swear I've seen the double ll . . . . maybe re asia?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:46 pm
@Setanta,
Try telling that to folks here, as being exclusive spelling.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:47 pm
Now i remember why i usually don't talk to you.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:49 pm
@Setanta,
Why? I'm thinking you may be right, but also maybe not entirely.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 05:54 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

(New Mexico State University, worth a look)
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Excellent reference on chile sources. I see theyve got SANDIA peppers. Mrs F always liked them for chile wreaths.

I need a seed source of a big meaty jalapeno . I guess Ill spring for the 6 bucks and save seed for next year.

BTW, the sandia pepper is favorite for an Azteca hot cocoa drink .

This is still a silly thread-curry is a noun and a verb.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 08:22 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:
if you've put salt and pepper in/on your eggs, by strict definition you've got curried eggs.

I am interested to know where your strict definition comes from

My Indian cooking instructor in the 1970's
My Sri Lankan cooking instructor in the 1990's
an Indian chef I spent time with in the 2000/2010's

etc
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 08:32 pm
this is a good resource, if anyone is interested in tracking it down

Handbook of Spices, Seasonings, and Flavorings
By Susheela Raghavan

__

what I was taught was that since every Indian kitchen prefers its own spice blends for different dishes - every spice blend is a curry (which is where my old teacher came up with the salt/pepper thing - to remind us that there is no one curry - almost every dish can be considered a curry)
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 01:17 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I take it kidney pies are a thing, I am guessing for the British.

We don't eat kidney pies, if you mean pies with just kidney as the main ingredient. Steak and kidney pies, yes. Also kdneys with bacon and eggs for breakfast. Traditional butchers will leave (or remove) the kidney part from a chop if you ask them to. Lots of people don't like offal.

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 01:20 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Maybe I mixed up the mexican spelling and the larger world's spelling.

You often see chilly (singular) and chillies (plural) in material of South Asian origin, such as ingredient labels on jars of pickle, menus in restaurants, recipes etc. Elsewhere you most often see chili/chilis.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 02:02 am
As far as the original question is concerned, on the whole it is chicken curry in the UK.

Curried chicken, to me, evokes a mental image of pieces of chicken served on their own that have been in some way infused with a curry flavour.

Chicken curry, however, is chicken cooked and served in the curry sauce as a complete dish.

Pretty much the same as Stewed fish not being the same as fish stew. Stewed beef not the same as beef stew, etc.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 02:09 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Then there's Chilly Willy . . .

http://img08.deviantart.net/f36f/i/2006/095/b/8/chilly_willy_by_lixabette.png
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:27 pm
I've just returned from Sri Lanka - where curry is an absolute art form!

Every chicken curry was different, Different combinations of spices to give different flavours. Some absolutely brilliant vegetable curries.

I've brought back some spice mixes. There's going to be some good cooking happening, as soon as I get rid of this current lurgy. 4-day Easter weekend may be just the time to start. Prepare your work stations on the left. No food without helping!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:36 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Right, of course, I just remembered the kidney part.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:44 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
You're right, that's where I've seen it.

I'm a relatively new arrival to New Mexico, which is Mexico adjacent, and we have items from both places in my grocery store. Frankly, I love and hate some of the food here (the hate having nothing to do with the spicing, just try the horrible fish), and have done a lot of exploring, since I can take a fair amount of heat in my food. I'm more moderate, in that I probably eat chile, chili, and even chilli, one of those, every day, usually not blasting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:46 pm
@margo,
More, more, tell us when you have time.
0 Replies

masterstudent

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 01:44 pm
To prepare food you need Curry Chicken....
Once food is prepared it is Chicken Curry....Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

RyanO45 wrote:
You don't eat curry by itself.

since curry, in cooking terms, means any blend of two or more spices , it would be a tiny bit difficult to eat it by itself

You probably could consume the combined powdered spices by itself but probably shouldn't....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:28:12