Donkey cart beats out Porsche in Portuguese road race

Col Man

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
LISBON (AFP) - A donkey cart beat a Porsche in a race held in a northern Portuguese city over the weekend to see which mode of transportation could best handle car congestion.

The cart, pulled by a seven-year-old donkey named Tironi, was the first to reach the port city of Viana do Castelo from the suburb of Areosa some two kilometres (just over one mile) away, Jornal de Noticias newspaper reported Monday.

Viana do Castelo opposition city councillor Antonio Jose Amaral, who helped organize the challenge held Sunday, said the result proved the need to build a ring road around the city of some 36,000 people.

"Unfortunately the donkey ended up winning. This mode of transportation is not from our era but it looks like the get around Viana do Castelo we have to go back in time," he said.

City officials have rejected the need for the construction of a ring road arguing there are no major traffic problems in the city.

"If they knew what traffic is like in big metropolisis they would shut up so as not to seem ridiculous," the councillor in charge of traffic, Rogerio Barreto, said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 691 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:22 am
I really wonder how this cart won from a Porsche.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:42 am
My guess is that the Porsche had to use the conjested roads, whereas the cart could take all little short-cuts through Lisboëse small avenues and things.... but I'm not sure.

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:43 am
Could this mean the end of the automobile? Is this era finished? Will donkey carts be the future??

(Just being dramatic here)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:54 am
I do hope so! Can you imagine the adverts?

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:56 am
Something like this?

http://theimaginaryworld.com/for03.jpg
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:57 am
Future accidents ...

http://www.boyshome.ro/photos/donkey.jpg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:09 am
Laughing... God, and people would be competing over breeds, etc. Humanity is its own history...

I wonder Who would have taken the donkey instead of the $500.00 savings bond back then? I remember, very incidentally, someone being prosecuted for a scam from about 12 years ago... he offered to mail people $5,000 for just £2,000 in return. Little did they know that he'd send them east carribean dollars, making a profit of about £1,000 a pop.... his defence was that neither party stipulated 'US' dollars.

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:10 am
Laughing Smart guy!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
Very Happy.. not as smart as P.C.... the scammer to end all scammers who got away with something far more ingenious. He's living the highlife in the Netherlands Antilles right now. (I'll have to tell how he got rich to you one day; it's vaguely amusing [to me, at least...])

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:52 am
Are you talking about DeVos or VanAndel?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:41 am
DeVos en VanAndel?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:43 am
Another pyramid scheme...Amway.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:46 am
BBB
I just e-mailed Dyslexia about this post. I can hear him reving up his red Porsche in his garage even from my house a mile away.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:31 pm
Very Happy-- it must be great to be so near.

(Incidentally, neither; he made this up himself; it had something to do with Australians and a fake casual ... liaisons... website..)

0 Replies