Let's Talk Sushi!

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
http://i67.tinypic.com/fcps2v.jpg
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:51 pm
There is nothing wrong with sushi that a little olive oil and a visit to the frying pan can't fix..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Now, talking sushi meets the OP. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:19 pm
Thank you all had some tonight from our favorite local place.. yummy
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:20 pm
@Linkat,
What! No pix?
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am technology challenged though they only had enough for one order of yellow tail so they suggested white tuna instead .... everything was fresh and tasty. Though we are not in a big Asian community ... used to live in one... this family that opened this restaurant told us they also moved from there like us

They are good as the hey usually know what we like .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Do you use the wasabi and/or ginger at hand or eschew it like the plague?

sushi is pretty much a wasabi and ginger carrier for me

sushi can be all right, but I Love Love Love wasabi and ginger. I once ate all the ginger put out for a table of 12 before the sushi arrived Embarrassed Once the waiter restocked us, I took about 1/2 of it again. So yummy.
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 11:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Funny, when I get sushi, the first thing that gets flicked off is the ginger, I'll maybe keep a speck of wasabi.

Who here has watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi?

Made my mouth water.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 11:49 pm
@ehBeth,
That's okay if they keep refilling the ginger, because the restaurant we go to has extra ginger on the table to help our self.
0 Replies

Jamie B

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:03 pm
How can someone not like sushi. You must be crazy! There are so many rolls that I love, I cant really say what my favorite is. In LA there are tons of nice and good sushi spots and Iam not talking about the 2 dollar plate ones either. Thats not real sushi.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:16 pm
I like ginger. I pickle my own jars of it. But, I've a limit. Friends and I went to a vietnamese food restaurant here in the southwest several times, and I, who has liked or loved every vietnamese restaurant in my past, got ginger-grated. It was all over the place. No balance to the menu. Plus they didn't always announce the ginger, so ginger surprises. Pffft.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:29 pm
@ossobuco,
That's the first time I've heard the term "ginger surprises." Sounded funny!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:30 pm
mmmmmmmmm

my current particular favorite isn't actually sushi because there's no rice, but the poke salad (marinated raw salmon, avocado, and cucumber) at our nearby haunt is delicious.

I, too, am a fan of both wasabi and ginger so I order a spicy tuna roll to share and put dibs on the garnishes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 08:17 pm
I absolutely crave sushi and sashimi weekly. We went today to a major shopping Mecca in Jax, FL, and went to Wasabi's. Even though it's a chain, the fat pieces of salmon and hamachi dragged through my wasabi-heavy slurry of soy sauce melted in my mouth.

No culinary experience beats it for me.

I'm a no cream cheese/mayonnaise-based sauce person. Can't abide it.

Almost always try to find a roll with avo or cuke.

Ginger tastes like 409 cleaner to me.
chai2

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 09:59 pm
@Lash,
Yeah, 409 cleaner, that's it.

soy sauce, yum.
Never thought of mixing wasabi in with the soy sauce, I think I'd like that better.

I like wasabi peas.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:08 pm
@Lash,
I've loved ginger since I was a child, and can still overdo it when we go to a Japanese restaurant.
Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 05:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
My kids are always glad they can get my ginger. I steal half of my daughter's wasabi. My son always orders- and uses- double his wasabi. It's a volcanic paste of sinus-clearing fire. I tell him he can't possibly taste the delicate fish, but whatever he's got going on is non-negotiable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:43 pm
@Lash,
That's funny! Our younger son never liked sushi until he was much older.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 08:58 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It's a volcanic paste of sinus-clearing fire. I tell him he can't possibly taste the delicate fish, but whatever he's got going on is non-negotiable.

That's a great way of describing wasabi. It's definitely a different kind of hot. Far different from say jalapenos and spicy curry. I like the taste of sushi. Wasabi is too overwhelming in the flavor department that I prefer not to use it at all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 01:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Wasabi!!! Blows the top of your head off. Mmmmmmmmmm......