Zambian president fumes over 420,000-dollar beverage bill

Col Man

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
LUSAKA (AFP) - Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa has ordered a probe into reports that State House, his office and residence, spent two billion kwacha (420,000 dollars) on beverages in a year, state television reported.

"I was alarmed, I think shocked is better, to learn State House spent two billion kwacha on beverages," Mwanawasa was quoted as saying Friday by the state-run Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC).

More than half of Zambia's population earn less than a dollar a day.

"I have asked that an inquiry be made," the president was further quoted by ZNBC.

Parliament was last week given this figure, sparking an outcry from opposition lawmakers.

The Zambian leader, who has been trying to enforce fiscal discipline said he was disturbed by the report because he does not drink alcohol.

"I don't drink alcohol or soft drinks. I only take water. My entire family does not take alcohol too," television quoted the president as saying.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 351 • Replies: 2
No top replies

squinney

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 04:07 pm
Evian?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
Very Happy