Yao's vow - no shaving for six months if China misses final

Col Man

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
ATHENS (AFP) - National Basketball Association star Yao Ming vowed not to pick up a razor for six months if China does not reach the quarter-finals of the Athens Olympic tournament.

"I hope we will have the chance to visit all the ancient monuments of Athens and experience the Olympic tradition of this unique country," Yao said. "But first of all we have to qualify for the next round, for the quarter-finals.

"If we don't, I won't shave for six months as punishment."

Yao might resemble the fur-covered Yeti of the Himalayas or the fabled North American Sasquatch if China fails and the 2.26m center goes all hairy in the two-month run-up to his next NBA season for the Houston Rockets.

But if Yao leads the Chinese into the final eight, China would do no worse than match its best-ever Olympic finish - eighth.

The goal Yao has set is not an easy one. China is in a preliminary group with world champion Serbia and Montenegro, NBA-bolstered Spain and Argentina, New Zealand and Italy, which beat the United States earlier this month.

The top four in the group will advance to the quarter-finals.

The Chinese, guided by NBA Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris, open Sunday against Spain. Yao will have a matchup against Spanish star center Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies.

"I think we have the potential to achieve something that no Chinese team has ever done before," Harris said.

If they fail, Harris can only hope the extra hair makes Yao slower in the NBA season, where his Mavericks are division rivals of the Rockets.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 458 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:34 pm
thanks yao -- now i'm rooting against china.

curious to see what a 7'-5" asian man looks like with a 6 month scraggly.
he can join Johnny Damon in the All-Hair Athletes club...
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:36 pm
And this is supposed to be an incentive?

Ah, the price of fame--or NOT!

LOL
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:49 pm
I bet that there are people scratching their heads, somewhere, praying for Yao's bodily hair.

0 Replies