What is this rock?

ebromb

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:54 am
Found in the ocean. VERY HEAVY for the size (small fist) . Not magnetic so not metal?
https://nyu.box.com/s/8opmzyd9o1rylrqqug1pc7mv1z4uubox
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,060 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:57 am
@ebromb,

your link doesn't work... you have to upload the image to a hosting site...

Ticomaya wrote:
How to add an image to A2K in 6 painfully easy steps:

1. Navagate to "imgur.com." You can type those words in the browser address area each time, or perhaps if you're feeling adventurous, save it as a bookmark/favorite.

2. Click on "Computer" in the "Upload images" section on the page. You might have to look for this, but it's sorta toward the upper right of the page.

3. Navigate to your image on your computer. (Pretend you are going to email it to a friend.)

4. Click "Start Upload".

(Seconds later .... Voila ... your image is now hosted on the Internet!)

5. Copy the link to the image, which is found to the right of the displayed image. (I use the "BBCode" link, and just paste that directly into my A2K post -- it adds the IMG codes so I don't have to. Otherwise you can use the "Direct Link" and add those codes yourself.)

6. Paste the link into your A2K post (using the IMG codes if using the "Direct Link" method, or without using the IMG codes if using the "BBCode" method.)

(Voila again ... you have just added a link of your image to your post. Always preview to make sure it worked properly.)

Note: The IMG codes should like something like this, as they surround the link to your image in your post:
Code:[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Kxym77c.png[/IMG]

facebook is also a good hosting site...
ebromb

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 11:02 am
@Region Philbis,
sorry.. should woks now
farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:05 pm
@ebromb,
I can open it. It seems to be a type of "Bog iron ore" I think its a variety called GOETHITE. It was used in earliest days as an ore for iron blooming and smelting. Its often not magnetic but certain areas of those globs may have enough iron to be weakly magnetic.
USually this stuff is found near layered sandy and clay deposits and sediments near ocean or salty bay banks.
ebromb

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you for taking time to answer me!
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 05:04 pm
@ebromb,
the magntism is like that of rust (which is what it really is) Its as if iron rusted underwater. You can identify it by the "bubbly" habit (called botryoidal , or like "little grapes"). You can best identify it by its "streak" which is taking a small section and rubbing it on the back(unglazed side) of a piece of white ceramic tile . It should leave a color(called a streak) of reddish brown to reddish orange
ebromb

Reply Mon 29 Feb, 2016 10:43 am
@farmerman,
perfect. thanks again! will go looking for a piece of white ceramic tile. could you see (on the photo) little red crystals all over the grapes?
0 Replies