The Ultimate Mixed Tape

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
That's right, I said tape folks, cassette tape.

What was your best mixed tape, that you received or made? Was there a theme, what were the best songs, what were the circumstances surrounding the creation, etc. etc.?

Is it a dying art form?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 21
No top replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
No, I make mixed cd's now
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
I got one from a dj that was really clever
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
I still play that tape, years later
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
I used to make a ton of mixed tapes, still have a few. I do the cd burning thing now though. The cassettes were generally themed according to my mood, with goofy completely unrelated songs (to the theme) thrown in just to amuse myself. As it happens, I have one here in front of me, my 'Morbid Music Mix':

Side A:
She Moved Through the Fair - Elvis Costello with the Brodsky Quartet
Theme from La Double Vie de Veronique
I Hold Your Hand in Mine - Tom Lehrer
Gloomy Sunday - Diamanda Galas version
32-20 Blues - Robert Johnson
I Am Stretched On Your Grave - Dead Can Dance
The Carny - Nick Cave
A Little Rain - Tom Waits
Annabel Lee - 13 Engines
The Birds Will Still be Singing - Elvis Costello version
The Future - Leonard Cohen

Side B:
Ecstasy - DAFP
24 Hours - Skin
Ingeborg, Mistress of the Dark - Maggie Estep
Delia's Gone - Johnny Cash
Australian Table Wines - Monty Python
The Rub - Killdozer
Willie McBride - Makem and Clancy version
Black 47 - Black 47
Miss Otis Regrets - Ella Fitzgerald version
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:16 am
Mahvelous
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
Very nice.

I am actually relieved that I don't have a CD burner. I wouldn't leave the house. You can dig up any song on the internet. Mixed tapes just seemed a little more personal. You know, from your own collection.

Yeah, everybody needs that morbid music. That's why god made Joy Division.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
Very nice.

I am actually relieved that I don't have a CD burner. I wouldn't leave the house. You can dig up any song on the internet. Mixed tapes just seemed a little more personal. You know, from your own collection.

Yeah, everybody needs that morbid music. That's why god made Joy Division.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:51 pm
Yeah, it's funny about downloading music from the internet. I often find myself grabbing stuff I already own, because my old copies are worn out. Then I can burn them. I haven't made a ton of mixed cds, and the one I listen to, well, I neglected to write down the tracks. Laughing Joy Division were indeed morbid, and the real deal what with Ian Curtis hanging himself and all. A lot of people thought his lyrics were sort of a put-on, because so many people were into the 'dark' thing at the time, but his wife is still alive and says "Nope, that's how he was. Welcome to the nightmare I lived through." I'm paraphrasing, but thems the basic facts. I'm pretty sure I can dig up a few more cassettes that I made, and that others made for me. When and if I find them, I'll post the tracks.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:54 pm
Hey, you better be paying for those songs being downloaded of the internet!!!! Just kidding!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:55 pm
LOL! I payed for 'em once. Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
I didn't know that about the Manchester scene. I am told I have to see "24 Hour Party People." Yes, I think it is a difficult task to be morbid and taken seriously (e.g. Jim Morrison--even though I have a place in my heart for the doors, from my high school daze). I suppose Kurt Cobain managed to do it, but when you are writing what you live, it is not something you set out to do, that's just the music you make.

There are so many emopussy bands out there, and contrived mawkish nonsense.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
I used to make "Me Tapes" all the time. Mix up a little Public Enemy, NWA, Anthrax, and of course, Yanni.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:15 am
Gargamel wrote:
I didn't know that about the Manchester scene. I am told I have to see "24 Hour Party People."

it's a very good movie, and a very good soundtrack

i loved making mix tapes, and now make many mix cd's to introduce people to music they won't hear on the radio

i have a standard intro and ending i use, i start with an edit of "american pie"

A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile and I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while but February made me shiver with every paper I delivered, bad news on the door step, I couldn't take one more step, I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride but something touched me deep inside, the day, the music, died.

and follow this with negativland's song "announcement", the song starts with the sound of a switch being clicked and then a spoken announcement from the producers of the record

Naah, I don't like that.
(Well, try just putting a, even if it takes a hair more time,
putting a little bit more....little rise thing on your exit.)
(Track 13....)
This announcement from the producers of this record contains
important information for radio program directors, and is not for broadcast.
The first cut on this record has been cross-format-focused for
airplay success. As you well know, a record must break on radio in order to
actually provide a living for the artists involved. Up until now, you've
had to make these record-breaking decisions on your own, relying only on
perplexing intangibilities like taste and intuition.
But now, there's a better way.
The cut that follows is the product of newly-developed
compositional techniques, based on state-of-the-art marketing analysis
technology. This cut has been analytically designed to break on radio. And
it will, sooner or later.
For the station that breaks it first, the benefits are obvious. You
lead the pack. Yes, no matter what share of this crazy market you do
business in, no other release is going to satisfy your corporation's
current idea of good radio like this one. On this cut, we're working
together, on the same wavelength, in scientific harmony.
But remember, this cut is const
ructed for multi-market-breaking
NOW. Don't waste valuable research with needless delay. We've done the hard
work of insuring your success; the final step is up to you.
SPECIAL DESIGNER SONG FOLLOWS IN 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.

after a splendid mix of music i end the same way i began with an excerpt from "american pie"

I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news but she just smiled and turned away, I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before but the man there said the music wouldn't play and in the streets the children screamed, the lovers cried, and the poets dreamed but not a word was spoken, the church bells all were broken and the three men I admire most, the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, they caught the last train for the coast, the day, the music, died, and they were singin...

Chorus

They were singin... Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:22 am
dj - Love the entire deal. Makes me want one.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:05 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I used to make "Me Tapes" all the time. Mix up a little Public Enemy, NWA, Anthrax, and of course, Yanni.

I have a special place in my heart for the PE.

The first rap album I bought, first tape with the Parental Advisory sticker on it (a big deal when I was 12 years old) was PE's Apocalypse 91 The Enemy Strikes Black.

It is still sssssssooooo good, and doesn't sound dated to me. I know rap has changed, but it is just really good writing. It's funny though, my dad and I were at the music store, and I just handed it to him and without looking at it at all he bought it for me. Pretty sweet.

When you are a twelve year old white boy and you hear Public Enemy for the first time, it really does change your world.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:06 am
A very cinematic approch dj, sounds cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:08 am
Great set up DJ, makes my intro sooo lame. Mine has Moe from the Three Stooges shouting:"Quiet numbskulls, we're broadcasting!"
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
panzade...

Laughing!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:42 pm
that's cool panzade

i'm thinking of checking out the speech that howard stern's father gives to symphony sid, in his movie private parts as an intro to a cd some time

"symphony sid, by the powers invested to me by the federal communications comission, i command you to get on the microphone in a serious manner and continue this broadcast

this is sunday blues and jazz, and i'm you're host symphony sid, and now, something for a blue sunday"

i don't know if it's gonna work or if i'll need an intro to the clip or what

oh well that's the beauty of creating the mixes
0 Replies