Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:19 pm
We are gathered here today to witness the union of boomerang and her new cat.

Boomerang recently had a disasterous adoption. The sweet old cat, fed up with the dogs and kid moved in with the neighbor, who are happy to have him.

Before that I had three cats who died at 16, ? (I had her for about 18 years, after finding her on the street) , and 20 (these other two I had since they were tiny kittens). Being rejected by the adopted cat was very hard because my old cats adorded me. I missed having a cat so bad and I wanted the adoption to work out.

Today while taking my dog to the vet I ended up adopting a cat whose owners had been arrested for running a meth lab. In addition to this chaos, the cat had been raised with dogs and kids. (Oh my God! What happened to the kids?)

She's absurdly lovely. She's about 1 year old and a super affectionate head bumper, chin biter, ankle rubber. I like her so much and I really want her to stay and not move in with the neighbors.

Have any of you cat adopters any advice for me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,810 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
Give her really good food and talk to her a lot. It sounds like she'll be used to the kids and dog. Good Luck, Boomerang. I hope she stays with you for years and years and years.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:32 pm
I gave her some IAMS canned food and fresh water - both of which she seemed to enjoy.

Thank you Piffka. I really want her to stay.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:32 pm
Re: Our dearly beloved
boomerang wrote:
Today while taking my dog to the vet I ended up adopting a cat whose owners had been arrested for running a meth lab.

Is she in a cat witness protection program?

Cats pretty much define their own terms. Other than providing three squares and lots of love and attention, the rest is her call.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:36 pm
Ha! Perhaps she is in the witness protection program.

That might be a clue in thinking up a name, Acquiunk!

I learned that "own terms" bit with my last try.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
Good luck, boomerang! And make sure to ask the child to be very, very nice to this one! Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
Hi msolga!

Actually, the kid is very nice to animals. With the last cat, it was the dogs. Even though they've been raised around cats, they didn't like that particular cat. Plus, he ran from thim.

This cat hisses and growls. So far today, they've left her alone!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:21 pm
boomerang wrote:
Hi msolga!

Actually, the kid is very nice to animals. With the last cat, it was the dogs. Even though they've been raised around cats, they didn't like that particular cat. Plus, he ran from thim.

This cat hisses and growls. So far today, they've left her alone!

Hello boomerang!

Smart cat! Tell her to keep it up! Very Happy
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:32 pm
Quote:
Today while taking my dog to the vet I ended up adopting a cat whose owners had been arrested for running a meth lab.

Soon as I get out, boomerang.... I want the cat back.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:41 pm
Yay boomer's new cat!

Lots of food, lots of affection, perhaps a high place where the dogs can't possibly get her and she can have lots of fun tormenting them?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:56 pm
Hmmm.....

Maybe I should name her gustavratsenhofer.

You're not getting her back.

Oh! A high place! Thats a good idea.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
Quote:
You're not getting her back.

<taking bets at this window>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:37 pm
You will not get this cat!

My cat stealing neighbor will get her before you do!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:56 pm
Folklore: Put a little butter on her paws and she'll stay put.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
I've never heard that Noddy. I wonder how and where that originated. I'm willing to give it a try.

She did jump up into bed last night and cuddle and purr so it seems as if she's adapting well. It is nice and cool this morning so I'm going to shut up the house and let her explore.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:19 am
Once when my family and I moved house we found that our new home came equipped with a cat. Upon asking around the neighbourhood we found that the poor thing had been the pet of the former inhabitants. The house had been uninhabited for quite some time, so needless to say the little boy was quite wild by the time we came along.

However, the yard was his home and he wasn't about to leave for anything. So we decided to adopt him. We started by tempting him into the house with treats, he was extremely mistrustful of humans so we could only do this by leaving the treats and retreating to an apropriate distance. Then, once he was used to coming in the house again, we slowly got him to take the treats from our hands. Eventually he got used to us, so much so that he even let us take him to the vet for a check-up.

Tom (as we called him) lived with us for a long time until eventually he succumbed to cancer. He always kept that slightly wild look in his eye, but you couldn't ask for a more loving or companionable little furry friend. I've had a lot of cats since Tom but I've always had a special spot for him in my heart, I even named a kitten after him, Tommy, who had much of Tom's manner (and looked much like him too).

My tip for keeping your adopted darling, just lots of love. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:57 am
My guess would be that licking off the butter would be a doubly pleasurable grooming experience--just like mother used to make.

Besides, your fickle cat betrayed you in a past life and couldn't stand being reborn as an inferior in your care. Your neighbors have their own karma to atone for...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
Luckily, this cat seems very accepting of love so I think I have that base covered, fortune!

Noddy, I love your karmic theory of cat ownership. However, I remain unconvinced that cats are inferior - I think reincarnation as a house cat would be the final step before getting to give up this life thing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:57 am
boomerang--

Perhaps your fickle cat moved on to a family in need of help to escape the Great Wheel?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 12:01 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Folklore: Put a little butter on her paws and she'll stay put.

Just some greasy furniture, buttery curtains & slippery carpets as a result - a small price to pay! :wink:
0 Replies