Art help on a2k, have patience

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 07:36 pm
We've had some wonderfully knowledgable people at a2k on art, over something like 15 years. Much of it has been haphazard, silly, adventurous, and so on. Some has been keenly thoughtful.

Don't expect an answer in five minutes. Though that may happen,

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 07:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Why is that zeroed?

Meantime, many ask for help for figuring works out, which I completely agree with, how to chase that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 08:46 pm
Concerning the masters or self help?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 09:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
People have questions and we don't answer right away. Often the works they bought at good will, etc., are nearly impossible to find, as there are many artists in the wide world. Some here have been very good at answering, and some finds have been found, but our smartest re value don't post every day, and some of us are just plain interested.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 09:11 pm
It's a good idea. Lots of luck.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 09:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
We try. I'm not one of the good answerers, but we have a few, and I always look. Quite a few good works lately.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 07:26 am
@ossobuco,
I'm mildly confused by the lack of questions in this thread. You're not really providing much in terms of context to this discussion.

Are you trying to make some kind of point regarding new members asking about art authentication and/or appraisals? I'm pretty sure our membership doesn't contain any professional auctioneers, art appraisers, museum curators, etc.... And if we do have a few of those former professionals, they shouldn't have to give their advice for free.

Most of these art related questions could and should be taken to professionals for proper appraisal. And I expect that these people are too cheap to do so, and worse, are likely not even to have anything legitimate in their possession in the first place.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:31 am
@tsarstepan,
The problem I see is that most of the art doesn't need a "professional" appraiser. A lot of it wouldn't produce the fee a professional wants to realize.

Some need to be looked at, for sure, but usually the local art school or art /art history department at a good collage would be more productive and a good start. Then maybe an appraiser. So far I haven't seen any art here that cries out for an appraiser at first glance, though I've seen a few that need to be taken to an art historian.

90% of what we see here is well within our ken.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I agree, bobsal.

I'll add that a number of posters wouldn't mind knowing the value, if any, but are interested for either family reasons (what is this painting we've had around for fifty years about? any info?) and sometimes for curiosity about a piece they picked up from a thrift shop or street market and want to know more about because they like it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 08:45 am
I'll add that I have a few old items from my parents or grandparents that I would like to have appraised but I can't afford appraisals. It's not that I'm too cheap, it's because I don't have the money. Cheap is a snotty word.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Art help on a2k, have patience
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:32:29