Side-affects of using technology

Nat23

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 04:53 am
My friend who is constantly texting has developed stiffness in her thumb and she is in constant pain.

Are their any other problems that people have faced using their mobile or any other technology?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,629 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:04 am
Nintenditis, sore thumbs from using video game controllers.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:29 am
Carpal tunnel syndrome - though you can also get it if you are a pianist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:43 am
Eyestrain- from constantly looking at a computer monitor.

Spreading hips- From sitting at a computer, rather that going out to exercise.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:07 pm
I've heard of people getting tendinitis (msplld?) and some other joint related conditions as a result of frequent repetitive typing, etc.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:28 pm
I have HUGE thumb muscles from too much nintendo. I absolutely rock in thumb wars, and I'm not joking.
0 Replies

Nat23

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:06 pm
Thanks guys for all your responses, I found it quite interesting that you all have similar ailments.

My friend seems to think that playing video games turns you into an unsociable person, what do you think?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:13 pm
Quote:
My friend seems to think that playing video games turns you into an unsociable person, what do you think?

Nat23 - I think that you have come up with a chicken/egg question. Do people who play video games tend to be isloates to start with, or do paying the games a lot turn them into isolates?

Some time ago there was a question about what type of person each member was, especially those who spend a great time on the internet. As I remember, the statistics were skewed towards people who were not terribly social in real life.
0 Replies

Nat23

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:41 pm
Phoenix 32890- Thats a good point of view you've raised and I can totally see where your coming from.

Do you feel that technology has any other consequences apart from physical ailments?

I think that it affects your mental health, in regards to in the past where people remebered most if not all the numbers that was of great importance and now that they've got a mobile they barely know their own number.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:42 pm
Oh, I don't have carpal tunnel, was just telling you what people can suffer. I have a little tendonitis, which is very, very different from carpal tunnel, which is quite a serious ailment.
0 Replies

Nat23

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:53 pm
Thanks for your response jespah! and its a good job you don't have carpal tunnel!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:00 pm
Quote:
I think that it affects your mental health, in regards to in the past where people remebered most if not all the numbers that was of great importance and now that they've got a mobile they barely know their own number.

Yes, I think that in the past people had a better handle on information, like their friends' phone numbers. The difference is that now, IMO, people are absorbing a much more intense level of information, which most people could not possibly commit to memory.

Whenever there is a change, people tend to be leery of it. I remember when digital wrist watches first came out. A teacher of my acquaintence agonized over the fact that kids would no longer have to learn to "tell time".
0 Replies